Hi guys, as NoS during the Tourist days technically isn't a track but just a nice scenic toll road I still had to gather my first experiences with my new toy on a track. Kidding aside, NoS (even if you know the place rather well) is not the right place to learn how a new car behaves at the limit. A circuit with high safety standards and good instructors is the right way, hence I decided to participate in the Performance Training at Porsche's track in Leipzig.

The circuit is really excellent - basically a composition of famous GP-corners such as Suzuka-S, Sunset Bend, Loews, Lesmo, Victoria Turn, Mobil 1-S, Lesmo, Bus Stop...

They put me into Group 1, consisting of 4x 997 GT3 RS, 3x 997 GT3, 2x 996 GT3 MKII and 1x 997 GT2. I arrived a bit nervous and rather early at the parking lot and it was somewhat ironic that our Group got the parking places usually reserved for disabled visitors  Smiley

I became even more nervous when the other "disabled" guys arrived: one with a mini bus loaded with tires and his race prepped GT3 on a flatbed, the next one flew in while his Cup clone was brought from a race garage, third guy arrived in an evil looking RS in matt black - driver in a matching black t-shirt saying "death or glory". OMG - these guys will eat me for lunch SmileySmiley

During the sector training some of my group mates preferred to go sideways instead of bothering with the ideal line until the instructors reminded them that the Performance Training is not meant to be a drift challenge competition Smiley Meanwhile I focussed on how to handle the beast in the bends and it went better and better all the time Smiley It's so fascinating to learn how communicative and controllable the GT3 is - I just love it  Smiley

Before it was time for the free practice of our group I made the mistake to park beside the instructor's car, hence it was my job to take the "pole" and lead the crowd after the warm up lapSmiley Actually the performance in our group was rather homogeneous, so it wasn't a problem after all. I got smoked by a GT2 (of course...) and a modded 996 GT3, but could keep the rest of the pack behind me Smiley

Interesting to experience the comparo with the "sofa group" (like our instructor used to call the Turbo group) Smiley After 8-9 laps we were sniffing at their rears (which basically means an advantage of 5-6 sec per lap on this 3.7 km circuit). I had an interesting encounter with one of them who really knew how to drive the TT on the track. I let him overtake me just before Lesmo and I could watch how hard he had to fight with the car in the corner while I felt like enjoying an easy cruise (relatively speaking).  

During the assessment laps on Sunday the co-instructor had a tough time. Basically he has to watch the participants from the following instructor's car and to scribble down some comments after each corner. After ten laps his face was pale like a freshly washed blanket Smiley He claimed that he never had such problems when doing the same job in the Carrera group.

Talking about the Carreras: the FL 997 S goes extremely well in the straights - no light food for the GT3s Smiley I had a tough time to keep an instructor during his hot laps in the 997 S behind me, but at least it took him 3 laps to finally catch up close enough...

It was great to enjoy a hot lap with Jan Seyffarth behind the wheel of the GT3. When I entered the passenger seat he grinned and said: you GT3 guys are hard to impress by sheer speed, so I decided to show you something new - not the ideal line, but the race line Smiley This guy is an artist behind the wheel and his skills makes us amateur driver feel very humble Smiley

I did approximately 90 laps during the weekend and it's astonishing how the GT3 endures the abuse without any sign of fatigue - if one considers alone 90x braking before Loews from 200 km/h to almost pedestrian speed...

Also the Pirelli Corsas did very well and actually the instructors also preferred them over the Michelins (though officially they had to promote the Michelins of course) Smiley

GT3 is a simply awesome driver's car on the track Smiley

Enjoy the pics Smiley

2-diamant.JPG

--
public roads: Porsche 987 S Seal/Cocoa, toll road Smiley : Porsche 997 GT3 Arctic/Black