easy_rider911:

Hi bigantballs Smiley

Thanks for sharing your impressions.

I think the 2 key points are that (1) 'perceptions' are not always in perfect sync with technical realities. Clearly there is a big difference of 55 bhp 'on paper' between the 05 987 and the 08 987S. Normally, one would expect that to be easily noticeable.

But the second key issue is that (2) you were judging the cars through the prism of the Tip S transmission. I definitely agree with DC here - it really affects the performance of the car. While you could argue that 'it's the same for both cars', I would say that comparing Tip S versions of both cars just makes the whole comparison into a distorted one. IMHO DC's comment that the Tip S spoils a world class car is no exaggeration or hyperbole. But - I entirely understand your situation - for daily commuting in traffic, avoiding a manual can be preferable to some drivers (such as yourself) - and I fully respect that choice - even though I wouldn't make it myself.

Ideally, if you compared a manual 08 987S with a manual 05 987, my expectation would be that you would notice a significant difference.

In the Boxster range, the difference between 987 and 987S was about 55 bhp. In the 911 range, the 997 and 997S difference was 325 bhp vs 355 bhp - only 30 bhp - an even smaller difference on paper that was nonetheless noticeable.

I think you hit the nail on the head when you focussed on sound. It contributes greatly to your 'perception' of power and performance.

BTW about the other stuff you mentioned, again, it can be subjective. I have the BOSE system in my 997S and I love it - to my ears, it's a vast improvement over the standard sound system.

About the exhaust note though - I love PSE. I'm sure if you retrofitted it, you'd love it too. It's very raspy and aggressive. With the top down, you will hear it even better! It's enough to make grown men hunt for tunnels to drive through! ;)

I love the red brakes on my 997S. The standard 997 brakes (with black calipers) work almost as well but they have a different feel. They felt more 'snatchy' to me. The big reds just 'smother' the brake discs. It's a hard feeling to describe but I know for sure that I prefer the big reds and that I can tell the difference. Still, it's horses for courses! :)

But overall, whichever choices you made, it's all good - enjoy Smiley

According to Porsche's web site, there's only a .2 second difference in 0-60 between the 997 and 997S. Considering that, I wonder if 30hp is really noticeable. I suppose if you ask S owners, Yes! And if you ask non-S owners, No! I recall Chris Harris, an S owner, said he bought the wrong car when he drove a friend's non-S with PCCB brakes which he thought had better road feel due to its lighter weight. Excellence magazine has also said the non-S, boxster and 997.1, was a better value than than the S.  Go figure.