firstly.  C63 ordered!    (applause!)

delivery next month.  they managed to find me a car in stock with all optioned included, keyless go+ rear blinds. (no LSD)

now my (brief) test drive impressions:

Firstly, its no Porsche.

steering is feather light in comparison, lacks the ultimate precision i am used to.  in my Boxster, i can feel EVERYTHING under my wheels (both r 18"). with the Merc, it just feels like driving a regular C-Class/3 series. 

But I kinda expected that anyway in a sports saloon.

Handling:  great for a sport saloon.  sharp turn-in, great grip under power out of corners (ESP on of course).  can feel the rears struggling for grip and gives me plenty of warning before they slip.  which for a non-racing driver like me, is important cos I need to know when to back off...   

irons out bumps in bends beatifully, not the least bit twitchy which my boxster can feel sometimes.

didnt try the ESP-off... too much traffic today. best to try it on an empty family road in my own car.

Speed.  wow!  its one fast car.  tho its not as explosive as I would expect from a 4.5s 0-100 car,  its certainly as fast as u will EVER need on the road.

and the sound... oh my....  its worth buying this car for the sound alone.  seriously.

my boxster sound good, but this is just ridiculously loud!

Ride: not harsh at all. if anything, its too soft.  but then again, I am used to my boxster's stiffer setup. if anything, I like to see this car lowered a bit and stiffened up. 

very compliant on bumpy roads.  i can see myself driving interterstae in this car and still feel fresh after a 10hrs stint.

GearBox:  having not driven an auto for 6 yrs, it takes some time to get used to the slight "delay" between the time u step on the gas and the time the car actually bolts forward.  but its one sweet gearbox, esp like the downshift blips! even down to 1st.

shift times arent that impressive, it does think a bit before it down shifts. but not as bad as SMG mkI and heaps smoother.  and it creeps like any auto so great for parking.

there are three shifting "programmes"  Comfort-sports-manual.

dont know why anyone would choose manual cos the Sports mode allows u to shifts manually anyway. and its the setting I most likely will use 99% of the time.

buildquality not porsche standard which is a surprise. dont like the cheap feel to the plastics on the dash. its what most people complain about and I know why. Nappa leather is... well... nappa leather.  too soft and delicate for my liking and it looks like it will wear easily.  but they all come in that leather.

I prefer the Porsche's sport seats as the tend to hug u in the right places.  the Merc's look beefy but once u are in it, its so so....  and the bl$$dy side bolsters always gets in the way when u turn the damn wheel! 

why do they make the stick out so much??!

I dont see how an overwight guy fit into them....

oh, fuel economy.  forget about it!  dont drive this car near any greenies.

for my testdrive, avg. 37.5L/ 100km  (and I wasnt pushing)

my boxster averaged 10.2L/100km over 4 yrs.......

so.... in conclusion.  I great sports saloon.  not a sports car.

still havnt driven the CaymanS FL, i am sure it will be a blast, but i hv made my decision and i think 4 yrs driving a 2 seater conv its time for a change. 

I will get back into a Porsche someday but it will have to be a 911S or 911tt.