Just this week, I had my '08 Boxster S serviced and was given a Base '08 Cayman with a 5speed as my loaner.    The Cayman is a remarkably solid car, but I am more at home in my Boxster S.   The power difference between a Base and S model car is considerable, while the Base is more than adequate,  the "S" is noticeably more powerful.  The Cayman was a great deal more noisy inside than the Boxster, as the Cabin seems to act as sound chamber for tire noise.   With the standard suspension, the Cayman was a bit more harsher, especially in the rear.    I have PASM on my Boxster S, and must say the difference is considerable, with the standard suspension on the Cayman feeling somewhere between my normal and sport setting on PASM.   In short, there are tradeoffs of the rail-like handling of the Cayman with the suspension and noise.   A Cayman with PASM might be a very good way to go, and the new base engine may get it closer to the feeling of an 'S" engine, but my bias would be to take a Boxster S over a Base Cayman.

vincesf 

RearShot1-26-09medium.jpg