Some of your points are valid. BUT, on my market for example it is easier to sell 3 years old Passat then similar 3series. So, it is market thing-resale value.

If you want competitor for Passat CC V6 you will need something like  BMW 335i(not pointless automatic but, DCT which will be available for sedan version in summer 2009)-upper level brand, way more money with same equipment. So, combination of 300hp, AWD and DSG is almost unique. Only real competitor is Passat R36 IMHO. Audi, BMW and Mercedes models with same hp and equipment lever are way more expensive...

Scirocco over GTI V? Any day, any time! It is much better car overall in my book. New GTI VI on the other hand will probably make things more difficult since it will use new front Diff(XSD) and will have 10hp more for the same money. Here choice is up to personal taste in car exterior-more shooting brake like Scirocco or proper hot  hatch-GTI VI... Just in my case I will probably choose Scirocco since GTI VI will be on the market from May 2009.