Lars, I live on the ocean here and although I don't drive it once the snow flies(due to road salt) it is still in the air because of the sea. Once the underside of the engine , geometry bolts etc etc have been cleaned they will oxidize if I don't put something on them. I figured if porsche relied on cosmoline then it was likely the best product to use.

I'm not sure if this is 100% necessary but I want to keep my car for a long time and can't bear the sight of rust...maybe I'm just a zealotSmiley

Cosmoline is the trade name for a generic class of rust preventatives, conforming to MIL-C-11796C Class 3, that are a yellowish, light-amber, or greenish colored ointment-like mass; have a slight fluorescence; and have a petroleum-like odor and taste. Cosmoline is similar to petroleum jelly in properties, appearance, and thickness. It is the purified residue obtained from the distillation of petroleum oils.

Chemically, cosmoline is a homogeneous mixture of oily and waxy long-chain, non-polar hydrocarbons. It can range in color from white to yellow, and can differ in viscosity and shear strength. Cosmoline melts at 113–125 °F (45–52 °C) and has a flashpoint of 365 °F (185 °C).

Its most common use is in the storage and preservation of firearms. Previously, cosmoline was used to preserve other items. Objects the size of entire vehicles could be preserved for future use with cosmoline.

--
997TT Coupe, sil/blk,pccb's,sc,lsd, cargraphic exhaust, IPD plenum and other goodies.