Good review and similar initial impressions from me.  We probably drove the same car, lol.  I was quite adamant prior to driving the car that I would not own a Porsche without 3 pedals.  Unfortunately about 10 minutes into the test drive, I started having some thoughts that were foreign to me, i.e. the box really is good. 

I drove it for the intial few kms in normal mode and the accelerator felt like an elastic band, with little connection to the throttle body.  Once in sport mode and manual, i started to enjoy the smooth quick shifts and immediacy of the down changes. In sport plus mode, it is even better, i can see myself having a default setting of sport plus manual mode, with dampers on normal. i did not enjoy any of the auto modes to be honest, but this could be a function of not spending sufficient time in the drivers seat.

I have to conclude that the gearbox won me over.  What I despise  of torque converter type autos is the lack of connection between the gears and the flywheel, there is no friction! The pdk is different as you still feel the direct connection.  The only difference between a conventional manual and the pdk box is the gear changing interface, with PDK obviouly having buttons.

Based on the above experience, you wont be surprised to read that I have placed on order for a white 911S, with PDK, PSE, -20mm LSD, and all the usual toys that one would spec for a 911. The car will be delivered in April 09. I am not 100% sure about the -20mm drop, but I did not think that the normal PASM was too stiff, and felt that there was room for improvement.

Cheers