Getting back to the originial topic of this thread, does the Cayman have legs...

Right now, I suspect that is quite dependent upon where one lives. I am not too surprised that some parts of the California coast aren't moving the product. First of all, there are a lot of high volume dealerships there, so they get bigger allocations of ALL models, so seeing more on the lot isn't as surprising. And second, there is clearly a more designer label/bling/looks > performance attitude there which would drive people to the 911 regardless of what would provide the absolute most enjoyment for them. But the Cayman seems to be selling pretty well here in Houston where that attitude is not so prevalent. Regardless, the two dealers here have both told me that it is still more difficult to keep 911 models in stock than the Cayman.

The high level of interest at introduction and good magazine reviews have moved it along initially, but I think it will have to be offered with more power to continue to draw sales. Of the various people that buy Porsche, some will always want the 911, and no other car. Some will see the Boxster asa better value than the Cayman and prefer the softtop (I am in this group). But a few must want a mid-engine car that they can use a daily driver and a weekend track tool and find the hardtop makes a better car for them. However, in this era 295hp is going to be a tough sell after a couple of years of production fill the initial demand. Especially since Porsche has no plans to promote the car through racing it. I've said it many times, primarily because I believe it strongly: Porsche needs to offer mid-engine models at the same price points and performance levels as the 911. F and Lambo own that market now, but Porsche can clearly undercut them price wise even if the P cars are priced at 997S and 997TT figures. Anyway, we'll see I suppose.

mcdelaug