Quote:
Crash said:For the 993TT it was the hardcore sports car enthusiast. The car was raw and loud and it was pretty much the fastest thing on the road, save for a few supercars.

The Turbo, in 996 and 997 forms, has become way too "GT'ish". Porsche has added all the "fluff" items, and rounded off the edges of what was once a hard edged sports car, just to open the car up to a wider market of potential buyers. Since I consider myself a "sports car" guy, and not a "GT" guy, I have been stiff armed farther and farther away from the Porsche product line. I don't think NAV has any place in a real sports car, just like cup holders, a "soft" riding suspension, less responsive steering rack, mushy shifter, quiet exhaust, or an automatic transmission.

I bought a 996 Turbo knowing it was going to be "soft", but also knowing I could fix the problem. I deleted the sunroof, and added X73, a better/louder exhaust, a B&M shifter, a better clutch and lightweight flywheel, and more power via a Stage 2 upgrade. The car is now sufficiently "sports car"...it's hard edged, loud, fast, handles great...and has a 6-speed. It's been targeted with these upgrades to achieve what I think Porsche should produce right from the factory - a real sports car.

I don't ever plan on selling my 996 Turbo, and if I add another sports car, it certainly won't be a 997 Turbo...