Quote:
Turbo Al said:
Thanks faterikcartman,

To me, the most important statement is the point that when "brake-torquing" the transmission, the updated TipS enables and allows earlier ramp-up of boost pressure and thus increased torque build-up (in addition to reduced shifting and reaction times). This contrasts with the 6-speed manual in which engine boost pressure needs to build after clutch engagement. My questions are:
1. How much different is that from the Bosch-Motronic setup on the 996TT? Was the 996TT-Tippy not sophisticated enough to "pre-boost" the turbos and with the VTG's is that difference also exaggerated?
2. Is there something in the 997TT-Bosch Motronic programming with the AWD/PTM/VTG's that (?unintentionally) doesn't allow the turbo's to "pre-boost" or is it inherent to manual trannies with dual mass flywheels that doesn't allow this-or could the manual tranny be re-programmed to minimize turbo-lag during shift changes that seems to be less problematic in the new Tippy?
3. While clutch- and wheel-slip when launching from standstill to 60mph/100kph might limit manual times, the latter would be less important from 60mph/100kph to 100mph/160kph and to the quarter, yet Tip lengthens its lead over manual. This again suggests that the Tip is "pre-boosting" during gear changes, but the manual is not. I again wonder if the ECU could be programmed better/differently in the manual, or is it impractical? Presumably a sensor would be needed to detect clutch engagement/disengagement to feedback to signal the turbo's to spool. This sounds complicated to say the least. Assuming the new TipS isn't a double clutch tranny but is simply an upgrade on the torque converter model, can we expect if a PDK/PDCS makes it into the 997TT, that accel. times could get even faster?

Comments gents?

You made me think about the technique of hitting the gas and brakes at the same time to keep the rpm's up and not lose boost pressure; when (already?) will Porsche program the car to keep boost pressure up while braking into turns?