Quote:
Grant said:
Quote:
hatchback said:
A car with an open differential can only provide traction control with brakes. So when your inside rear wheel slips, the car will brake the inside rear wheel and cut the engine power in order to transfer the torque to the outside wheel. A limited-slip differential can transfer the torque from one side to the other under full power (ie., without braking or reducing engine power). It also tends to react quicker than an open differential w/ brakes. So a car with an LSD will have a big performance advantage in a corner where one of your wheels looses grip.

I think this effect is minimized with AWD and PTM, since PTM will electronically apportion power to the front axle, until the rear wheel stops spinning. It won't be as good as LSD on the power, but close. I still believe the bigger difference will come with handling in the corners and under braking. But, LSD is probably better on the power too for the reasons you and Carlos mentioned.

I cannot imagine taking Tip without LSD, unless this is a daily driver, you face alot of traffic in your city, and you don't like shifting much...

Yes, the 996 Turbo without LSD does have pretty good traction on power. You hardly see any one sided wheel spinning situation. Actually, all 911 have very good traction on power even without LSD. You seem to see more wheel spinning on a boxster than a 996.

Having said that, when compare to the GT2/GT3/Gt3RS with LSD, the cornering ability is light years ahead, apart from the obvious difference in suspension setting and weight. You are able to brake much later and on full throttle even before hitting the apex with so much traction. Going from full brake to full power in 0.5 sec. Where as in the Turbo, you have to brake very early and slowly feed in the power to ensure full power is efficiently transfer from the tyres to the ground. From full braking to full power takes around 1.2 sec.

The LSD does transfer the turbo with open diff to a more sporty and responsive character. It does benefit both on the braking and acceleration side from my experience.