Quote:
Crash said:
Quote:
Grant said:
Quote:
hatchback said:
A car with an open differential can only provide traction control with brakes. So when your inside rear wheel slips, the car will brake the inside rear wheel and cut the engine power in order to transfer the torque to the outside wheel. A limited-slip differential can transfer the torque from one side to the other under full power (ie., without braking or reducing engine power). It also tends to react quicker than an open differential w/ brakes. So a car with an LSD will have a big performance advantage in a corner where one of your wheels looses grip.

I think this effect is minimized with AWD and PTM, since PTM will electronically apportion power to the front axle, until the rear wheel stops spinning. It won't be as good as LSD on the power, but close. I still believe the bigger difference will come with handling in the corners and under braking. But, LSD is probably better on the power too for the reasons you and Carlos mentioned.

I cannot imagine taking Tip without LSD, unless this is a daily driver, you face alot of traffic in your city, and you don't like shifting much...

I'll take an Audi or a Benz for a daily, thank you .
I don't get it. If you face such horrendous traffic on your way to work and back, that you need an auto tranny, why use a sports car as your transportation in the first place?

Couple reasons....one, for those on a "budget", much cheaper to just have a 997TT Tip as only car (daily driver and wkend toy) vs having both 997TT manual and S-Class (or other equally safe/comfortable auto tranny car) to fulfill both needs.

Second, having become accustomed to steering precision/chassis dynamics/brake pedal feel/traction of 996TTS, I simply don't feel very safe driving an S-Class/CL (or any other sedan/SUV), even at <90MPH, b/c of their notably weaker, less confidence-inspiring active safety attributes....

997TT Tip is simply world's best car IMO...arguably world's best real-world/all-weather performance, safety, convenience/comfort of auto and infreq mtce in one awfully cheap package