Quote:
schmuy said:
I was shocked to read, and to agree with RC's post about the new 997 being not a special car

Oh boy...the difficulty of different languages... Since English isn't my mother language, some claims from my "message" regarding my 997 Turbo disappointment may have been understood in a somehow wrong way. I try to clarify things a little bit: I don't say that the 997 isn't a special car, I just said that the new 997 Turbo doesn't feel special for me because I had different expectactions.
I know where Nick lives and it may be true that in his neighborhood, a 997 may not be something special. I don't know where you live but I live in Germany near Munich and I can assure you that over here, a 997 is something very special. Although Germany is the second largest market for Porsche, you don't see a 997 at every corner. There are tons of new 5series BMWs, new E-class Mercedes, new Audis, Volkswagen, whatever. You hardly see a 997, you see more Cayenne than 997. So is the 997 a special car? Of course it is, not only regarding it's expensive price tag. And even the 997 Turbo is a special car, no doubt about it. I was talking about me and my personal expectations regarding the 997 Turbo. I'm just missing that "special car" feeling I had with my previously ordered cars. It may get to me sooner or later, maybe I just have to recover from the current Tiptronic is faster than Manual shock, I don't know. But thinking that a 997 is not a special car is ridiculous. On the contrary, sometimes I wish it would attract less attention but I think this is something people like Nick do not understand.

The 911 has just won the Highest German Design Award (read here: http://www.rennteam.com/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=192333&an=0&page=0#192333 ) and in a german car magazine, the 911 has been elected again by their readers to be the sportscar of the year.

So yes, the 997 is a special car. It just isn't as flashy as a Ferrari. If you can live with it, I can.