"The problem is Porsche pricing is far above the conpanies you compare them to."

Reality is I didn't compare them to Honda or Toyota: I merely said there was nothing wrong with being mainstream.

Porsche's competitors are all typically "mainstream" with BMW and Mercedes being in the middle of the list. Aston Martin and Ferrari are too small to be significant competitors for Porsche.

Just to correct one thing - the base 997 still outperforms the Cayman. But as one dealer said if you buy into the legend of the 911 you buy the 911. If it's not of value you buy a Cayman stuffed full of nice options and enjoy a slightly slower car that's significantly better equipped.

As to depreciation of the 997 it get's nowhere as a close as a used Ferrari in defying the laws of gravity when it comes to a price drop.

Porsche's hierarchy of performance works just fine for most people. I see nothing wrong with a GT3 outperforming a 997S X51, or the TT outperforming the GT3. In fact I would be mortified if they didn't!

As a buyer you have a choice. If you see that as a problem, maybe we need to recreate the Soviet Block for you...