There is nothing wrong with trying to save the company. I agree with Dan L--would we rather have a "lot" of 911s (30,000) or none?

The 997 remains a blast to drive. It beats the 996 hands down in my opinion. The less trained driver can push it closer to the limit (and really, how many of us do that on a consistent basis) with less worry about spinning out into a ditch or worse--this is a bad thing? Sorry, but having owned and driven Audis, BMWs, etc there still is something special about this car that none of the others have.

A blast of a driving experience is the essence of the 911, and hopefully will continue to be the philosphy of the company. Ferdinand Porsche wasn't into exclusivity and image--he was into cars to drive. Remember the quote (rehashed many times on this board) that when Ferdinand Porsche was told that many American owners garage their cars for most of their existence, shine them to perfection, and drive them infrequently, he frowned and said "My cars are meant to be driven!"

So there are no LED brake lights. Sport Chrono and PCCB are optional. A Ferrari or an AMV8 may get the boys in the street to look, but I prefer my car on the road most of the time instead of in the shop.

None of this takes the pure grin of pleasure I get after a hour or two of my 911 on the road.

Just one humble opinion.