Quote:
Rafael from Spain said:
Quote:
RC said:
Quote:
linkrain said:
the reason that tip is faster...is it because tiptronic is 7 speed with short gear ratios??

Good question. I think one major reason why the Tip seems to be faster is the networked communication between all the black boxes responsible for engine management, traction management, gears exchange management and power distribution management. But I can also imagine that the Tiptronic on the 997 Turbo is some sort of "hybrid", an intermediate solution between a conventional auto tranny and the rumored PDK. I honestly don't know, it remains to be seen. It is however interesting that the Tiptronic not only seems to be faster from 0-60 mph but also up to 100 mph and maybe even at higher speed ranges. Top speed also seems to be the same for Tip and manual, which is pretty weird. If Porsche succeeded in adapting the new Mercedes 7-speed auto tranny and leading it's software programming to new heights, I'm pretty sure that it is going to be the hell of an auto tranny. I'm still confused and although I'm a manual tranny type of guy, for better performance, I would switch to Tip.

Straight line acceleration, does not mean better overall performance.

Downchanging is as important as upchanging and there the manual (well used) is as good as the best F1/PDK system. In the track I am sure manual will be faster. I still need to see a faster manual vs auto on a race track. Best Motoring do test a lot this things and 360, M3, 996TT was always faster with manual.

I personally would always choose the manual on a "sports" car because you are not going to race against time. So the possible tenths of seconds of advantage per lap are less important than driving involment IMHO.

Still, from the data is 0,3 seconds faster to 60 and then it starts to loose some ground only 0,2 1/4 and even before seeing official data I would bet that the terminal speed of the 1/4 mile is similar.

Cheers

Still, if Tip is faster even to the quarter than is manual, something is not right in the State of Denmark (or, State of Germany), as we say. I don't care how much traction/throttle/engine power management is engineered into the 997TT, if the Tip is superior to manual in any acceleration measure up to top speed, then this isn't any ordinary Tip-or, possibly, the manual is programmed in a way that slows it-also, don't forget that the Tip car is heavier than is the manual car. I still will want to see official specs. with my own eyes, and even more, independent reviews of the car with both trannies-and ideally, dyno's with power and torque graphs. Maybe RC is correct and it's a "hybrid" Tip-still, a torque converter is a torque converter. In a few days, we will soon find out.