Quote:
Atlantis said:
Quote:
Porsche-Jeck said:
I always have been wondering, why there is no such thing as discounts for P-cars in the UK. Do you think it might have to do with the RHD - with basically no competition from neighbouring (ehem, or should I better say "continental") countries' dealerships Of course you could order a car with UK-specs at a German dealership (I think easy-rider did just that with his 997 S on order), but I guess it's not a common practice as you have to work yourself through the bureaucratic djungle.

I looked at this a few years ago when I first thought of buying a Boxster. I'd previously personally imported two BMW 3 series coupes into the UK from Germany so I knew the processes and procedures inside out. The problem I had at the time was that Porsche GMBH were adding on a rather large surcharge to supply a RHD C16 (UK) car to a German dealership. This negated any initial savings that there were because of the lower list price in Germany. The pound then fell against the Euro and importing was no longer worth considering.

The only time this was really an option was when you ordered via a country where the list price was low, but lots of local taxation (Sweden = 40% ???). then you pay the lower car tax on entry to the UK.

Of course the EU and the car manufacturers have worked to close the gaps on 'list price' across Europe. It can still be done, and manufacturers are less likely to deliberately slow down your order, but its not worth the hassle anymore. The UK still has a stigma about imported cars and their secondhand values, plus the need for goodwill from your dealer with our poor 2 yr warranty