Quote:
bostonmini said:
....ALl this very interesting, but can the US police afford to have not ONE speeding ticket issued?

Yes,

That was exactly my point, that the US would never implement a GPS-based vehicle control system, simply because too many municipalities use speeding ticket revenues for their spending. A local town a half hour south of where I live in upstate New York earns tons of money by parking a patrol car by the road leading to the local ski resort, and since most of the access road has wide-open driving with 55mph limits, but for a quarter mile stretch of the road through the dinky little town when the limit drops to 35mph, an unaware driver who drives by at even 51mph (16 magical mph over the limit) gets clocked for the 6-point fine.

When I have asked my police friends in my town why they don't enforce the cell phone laws in New York State (it is illegal to drive in this state while speaking on a hand-held cell phone), they "yawn" and say there is no "social" and "financial" reason to. When I point out that the cell phone issue is more a safety issue than is the speed issue, they don't have a response.