Quote:
Turbo Al said:
Quote:
[

TB993tt,

I have sympathy for what you are arguing, after all, the stock 996TTS peak torque is 457lb-ft or 620Nm-the same as rumoured on the 997baseTT (sans overboost). HOWEVER, and this is where RC's point is important about power and torque across the rev-range and with varying outputs graded to throttle pressure, what we call driveability , peak power and torque numbers alone don't do justice to the car's performance: With the VTG's spooling quickly, 620Nm (with 680 with OB) at low rev's, can produce superior performance in a 997TT versus a 996TT with KKK16 or 24 turbo's, due to BOTH decreased T-lag and OB. AND with the 997TT's improved chassis (not to mention possible lighter weight yielding higher power-to-weight and torque-to-weight ratios at a given rpm), the car's available power will more efficiently translate to higher speeds in the turns. So peak HP and torque numbers on a 996TT don't directly correlate with peak HP and torque numbers on a 997TT. All this means that, while YES, peak power and torque numbers DO matter, this is only the "tip of the iceberg" when measuring performance, if you will pardon the expression, all the more reason to WAIT until the official specs. AND independent reviews/testdrives (likely to be reported first HERE on rennteam) come in. And this recommendation comes from a 996TTS owner on my dealer's waiting list for a 997TT who advocates modding the 996TT-HINT: Look below at my signature summarizing the 911Turbo I own.

I also think the 997TT will be easily modded with ECU upgrade and minor mechanical mods to handle the added thermal stress, but I too will prefer the Porsche powerkit (or the "S") over an aftermarket tuning-not just for warranty protection, but also because the factory upgrade will be based on extensive testing for reliability through trial and error, two reasons the aftermarket for 997TT upgrades will be riskier, especially in the first couple years after launch.

BTW, I am betting the overboost feature (in the Sports Chrono Turbo package) will be automatically actuated in the Bosch-Motronic program-based on right foot-controlled throttle manipulation, rather than fired from a switch on the dash or steering wheel, as I suspect some people think-I could be wrong, but I think a more sophisticated system would be hooked up to the throttle-simply keep the Sports Chrono Turbo mode in the "On" postiiton, floor it and feel the whiplash!

I agree with everything you say here. My one reservation is with Porsche making the overboost feature an $$$ option - I guess one can see why as the "poseurs" can save their money.
I agree entirely about the "peak power" argument, these variable turbos are going to be amazing.
What I am going to find fascinating over the next couple of years in watching the tuners try and "crack" the electronics and unleash another dimension with tuned VVTs. There will only be a few who manage it - but Porsche always leave so much on the table, witness a stock 996tt versus a "chipped" one +100NM - A properly tuned 997tt is going to be something else.