Quote:
nberry said:
For those of you arguing that the 997S is cheaper think again. While the MSRP for the AMV8 is about $10,000 more it will hold its value substantially better than the S. Once you drive a S off the showroon floor, you immediately have at least a $10,000 loss.The AMV8 has a long waiting list here in the US and will sell above MSRP for quite awhile.

So which one is better priced?

Your rationale doesn't hold water, negatore Nick. The AM's don't carry the same magic resale buoyancy of Ferrari...your chosen marque is still king.

Secondly, you're using Al Gore's fuzzy math. I loaded up my 97S and after a nice discount cost $90,100. The Car & Driver AMV8 was $118K--think you'll agree that no AMV8 discounts will be forthcoming for awhile-- that's a $28K difference. Do you frequently represent that $28K is "about $10K" to your clients??

Let's examine a bit of historical precedent: the following press excerpt dates to the launch of the AM Vanquish:

"....Under Ford's guidance, the Vanquish is intended to re-cast Aston as a forward-looking,
ultra-modern car maker. The Vanquish already has
a two-year waiting list, although a premium price
is likely to secure an example if you're very keen.

FOR: Stunning looks, beautiful cabin,
exceptional performance, ease of driving.
AGAINST: Size, weight, cramped interior,
question marks over sequential transmission.
SUMMARY: A traffic-stopping supercar with impressive handling, but its weight counts against it..."

Sound familiar? Sounds a lot like current AMV8 discussion.
Vanquish buyers paid $240K at the outset, the same car can be had today for $140K. That's 58% residual value/4 years.

Meanwhile a decently optioned 2002 Porsche 996 with an original MSRP of $80K can be had today for $45K-$48K....using $46K and that's
again 58%/4 years' value retention.
The Astons will parallel the depreciation curve of the Porsches. The lower purchase price of my 997S means if both cars lose 10% per year, my 997S depreciates at $750 per month, the Aston V8 would depreciate at
$983 per month....that's a big difference in raw dollars over 3 or 4 years.

Also, no matter how awkwardly styled the 997 Turbo admittedly is-- at $135K do you not think the 475 horsepower 997TT will exert a levelling effect on demand for the $118K AMV8?