Driving in my home city here in SoCal yesterday and saw what looked like a "cheap" aftermarket SUV in front of me. I tailed it for a few moments then was stopped right next to it at a traffic signal. WISH I HAD my camera with me!!!!!!!!!!

Ok, I'll describe as best I can. It was black as they all are (prototypes) and the best way I can describe it is that it looks like an '06 X3, just bigger... with broader shoulders. It had these BMW alloys with the center cap removed, I confirmed later by checking online for "spy photos" that it IS a BMW wheel. The lights all had some kind of plastic covering them, there were rough looking air intakes in the side of the body, it had the signature BMW little antenna on the rear of the roof above where the 3rd eye would be. The body had what looked like quick disconnect fasteners holding body panels on.
By the time I caught up with it I thought it may have been something else but with a lot of modifications by someone with no taste.
Then the giveaway was the interior. It had what appeared to be no dashboard, but a sh*t load of wires, meters, even a small monitor protruding from the dash area. The guy driving it wouldn't look at me in my Cayenne, was wearing black baseball hat and dark shades. When it took off from the signal, it left with a distinctive rumble.
So, bottom line, think X3, but bigger and wider with less SUV and more SAV.

SO, no threat to Cayenne, looks like BMW is going more like station wagon style.

PS, I wonder if I would have taken pic's... if they would have had commercial value to some online car site?

C