Quote:
RC said:
Quote:
tdf360 said:
Even with delays it would still be a four year model run in the US. The fewer they build, the stronger the resale I would think, making current owners happy.

Gary

Not if Ferrari offers a new facelifted and more powerful F430 or F440 (whatever) in 2007. Ferrari can't afford to loose the most important market. So they have no choice, they have to find a solution for the airbag thing or they'll offer a facelift already in early 2007. This would be "deadly" for current F430 owners because value would drop in an instant.

I'm not sure if I see too much of a downside in the short term. What are the possible outcomes?

1. F430's are delayed for a period of time (ie: a month or a year) but they fix the airbag
There are two kinds of F430's - ones with compliant airbags and the earlier ones that don't. It's an airbag, so a warranty retrofit would probably be available to those that want it. You might get a few people cancelling and buying Gallardo's but it won't be the people who are low on the list. The effect on resale for F430's probably would be negligible until the replacement model is announced in 2008/2009.

2. A lightly facelifted f430 is introduced very soon.
Everyone waiting for an F430 would spill over to this new model and demand would still be very strong. Those who own an 'original' F430 now have a model with an unusual history. With a production run of 2 yrs or so, it is hard to say what this will mean for resale. I don't think the airbag issue will affect resale (ie: nobody seems to care when buying a F360 today) but if the F430 is the last V8 available with a 6 spd then the 6 spd owners could have a future collector's item if they hold onto it for a while. Also, if owners think the reduced production means something then fewer will be listed at any given time. If the car is lightly facelifted with few differences, I doubt anyone would sell to get the new model, they would probably wait until 2008/2009 for the next one. Therefore, the supply might get tighter.