While I tend not to believe most of what I read in auto-rags, Motor Trend is speculating a few things. But the 998 comment does not seem that far-fetched.

Quote:
2005 Porsche 911: Redesigned. Yes, so soon. Porsche is reported to be working with suppliers on a convertible hardtop for the next-gen Cabriolet. Engine displacement may climb to 3.8 liters for the base six cylinder, with a flat eight being likely.

Ok, well, if there's a cab hardtop, where did the engine go? Plus we've seen these spy shots of the wreck, it has a cab top. I think this might be more realistic for the 998 below if it holds true...

And flat-8, not this time...

Quote:
2005 Porsche 998: Front-engine sports car takes over the role once claimed by the 928. The 2+2 coupe will share its powertrain with the Cayenne sport/ute, with power ranging from 340 to 450 horses.

Ok, the year is obviously wrong (not 2005), but the idea is not that far-fetched. Porsche purists will scoff at the idea of a front-engined (more like a GT) 911, but maybe its not crazy especially if you are a bean-counter. We all know the benefits to mid engine design (ala Boxster and CGT) and the rear engine issues which Porsche has dealth with so well. But front engine? Thoughts? RC - any rumours?

If you care, here is the link.
Motor Trend Future Cars