In Germany, you cannot get Diesel cars out of the heads of (ordinary) people after decades of telling people how fuel efficient and cheap they are. They were...fuel efficient and cheap...compared to petrol engines, no doubt about it. Most of the cars of workers and employees in Germany are...Diesel cars.

My wife's Cayenne S Diesel eats around 10-12 liters / 100 km in the city. My former Cayenne GTS with V8 petrol engine and almost the same power around 17-19 liters / 100 km.

Autobahn speeds around 240 kph in the Cayenne S Diesel? Around 12-13 liters / 100 km. In the Cayenne GTS with V8? Over 21 liters / 100 km.

One of my best friends has a BMW 320d station wagon. His consumption? Around 5-6 liters / 100 km. No kidding.

Now try to convince people now in Germany that Diesel cars are bad. They still have that image of those monster V8 engines in the US and many over here are questioning the reasons behind the US government fining VW. Many Germans believe that the US does it to protect their own car industry, which is of course ridiculous in my opinion.

A change in mentality already started over here though: Since our own government is discussing banning Diesel cars from city centers, many people are cautious what car(s) they buy next. Most of my friends are going for petrol cars, one reason why many of them were surprised my wife got herself the Cayenne S Diesel. Well, not much will happen for the next 18 months (lease duration of that Cayenne S Diesel) in Germany, so I think we're good. 

The truth is: I would not get a Diesel car anymore. Also, I would not buy a ELV. The whole car industry is starting to change now and nobody can really predict the future, so I would be very very cautious with any buying decision for the next couple of years. Unless of course we are talking serious sportscars here. 

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Carrera 4 GTS Cabriolet (2015), Porsche Cayenne S Diesel (2017), Audi R8 V10 Plus (2016), Mini JCW (2015)