This has been discussed at varying lengths on this board. Most people will side with Ron, that the 911 is an ICON and can't be changed.
But of course, it can be changed. That change would have to come from demanding 911 owners. Would Porsche give up the traction benefits for more stability? Then there is the Iconic shape. Would they change the familiar "Volkswagen" shape? I think they would.
The 911 seems to be a polarizing car; people love it or hate it. I think they Cayman's shape will garner the same reaction. I happen to like the Cayman's look and handling, just not the performance (I test drove it earlier this week).
Then of course there is the Carrera GT. How can they continue to argue that the placement of the engine in the rear of the 911 is optimal. Don't get me wrong, I've become comfortable with the swagger (oversteer). With the Boxster, Cayman and GT all mid-engines, well, it's like the white elephant in the room that no one is talking about.
I know many here will be offended, but I want the BEST car that Porsche can produce for my hard earned money. If they can make a better 911 by placing the engine a bit forward, go for it. But I will not settle for anything less than 911 performance (eg Cayman).