Quote:
OCEAN said:
If you could buy a 430 today with no wait at MSRP would you buy it over a 997 or would it still not be worth the extra money See a few long time Porsche buyers making the switch , and after driving the car I understand why .

let me give you my story ,and experience ,it will provide some answers..
for the last 5 years i have owned all the range of porsche and a 355 then a modena.. porsche is a great car ,its a tank ,its indestructible ,very well built ,easy to drive fast ,safe etc.. its IMO the best CAR available ,but ,its not a SUPERCAR anymore . to use the same comparison rc used ,porsche is a rolex ,but its no lange,neither patek philippe.
i never really enjoyed my 355 ,it has always been a "sunday dress" for me , everything changed with the modena ,i got much more than i expected ,the car was amazing, everyday use ,very well built , it was perfect. during my porsche ownership i always became bored after few months of ownership ,and thats why i changed a lot and tried the whole range . i kept the modena 1 year(sold it 2 weeks back) ,and everyday pleasure was like the first day i drove it ,and maybe for the first time i felt sad when i sold it.
i bought a f430 at msrp ,delivery in 3 month (the longest 3 month of my life).and i am very happy with my choice .and to confirm what you said , i will never ever look back...
after all the porsche is a more rational buy ,but then cars for me are a passion and i buy them with my heart ,not with my brain. the ferrari is a supercar , it has the look , the exclusivity,the sound ,and the performance. i am sure the 997tt will have few milliseconds advantage over the 430, but i am no walter rohl ,and the 430 has a 4 sec 0 to 100 and 21.6 sec.standstill km. thats more than enough for me.
yes i agree rolex is the best watch available ,but i hate the fact that half of the people around me are wearing one ,i will be much happier with an audemars piguet montoya limited edition..