noone1:

Not a different story at all. It's very easy to do.

Corvette and Viper are regularly comparable, if not sometimes stomping European exotics in performance tests for pennies on the dollar. Why would you think Ford is any different? Imagine what they can do with a $450K budget without even caring about making money. Ferrari budgets to make a profit on a $300K car. Ford budgeted to most likely lose money on a $450K car.

No car company is significantly ahead or more capable than any other. They simply have difference business models, style, and long-term plans. Vipers have way more downforce and aero grip than any exotic. Why? Because Ferrari owners do not want giant wings and canards on their car. Why doesn't Porsche make the 911 Turbo 700hp? Because they don't want to.

I'd also point out that Corvette over the years has not only matched Ferrari in performance, but they've also done it more efficiently with better MPG.

Hmm, I have a vastly different view.

A) yes, suppliers deliver a lot of know-how, but they mostly have no clue about the total package that is the car. Car manufacturers are in control when it comes to manufacturability, maintainability and for example the dynamic behavior in the road.

B) No, building a normal street car is not easy. Why do you think there are so many shit cars? Either they drive shit, or they have very expensive reliability issues, or you need to tear the complete car apart if you want to change a light bulb... all because building such a complex machine is not easy.

C) No, building a hypercar is not the same as building a normal family sedan. Especially in the US, where car manufacturers are not so interested in building small and/or lightweight cars. The current hypercars are at the edge of the envelope of what is possible nowadays, something which demands very special knowledge of the design team. Knowledge that the design team of a standard family sedan does not have.

So concluding, I think that the new GT is a marvel; it looks the bees knees and the specs are impressive, but I can understand why people have some reservations and a "seeing is believing" attitude. This is not just to bash on Ford or because they feel that "their" brand is threatened, but because they know how difficult it is to build such a complicated machine.

--

Porsche, separates Le Mans from Le Boys