RC,

I think I was pretty clear before that I expect not much difference between a Cayman S and a Boxster S outside of the looks (purely subjective). So we agree there

And I also was pretty clear that like most, I see the $6000 price difference (in Canada) between the Cayman and the Boxster S as a bit of a rip off. So we agree there.

But, where I disagree with the original post is comparing the price of an optioned Cayman to a a base 997. The difference (as I mentioned before) is actually a little over $20K in Canada. That IS significant. I can buy a two year old WRX as a winter beater for that money, or make a whack of a paydown on my mortgage etc. And I'm not saying that a base 997 is not any less worth the $ than a Cayman, I'm just saying that there is a real price gap, base for base.

I like the Cayman for what it is, and I love the 911 (997). I would probably choose a 993 TT over either though for that money (however, no way a GT3 can be had in this market for Cayman money).

Final point is that the Cayman looks much better (to me) than a Boxster with the optional hardtop. Also, the integrated rood of a coupe will still be stiffer than the optional hard top. Probably not siginificant in real terms, but true nonetheless.

Anyway, this thread has gotten a little fierce at times, but I appreciate the debate and I think it has been quite interesting with good points made by many.