RC:.

I get it, they need to develop ELVs and hybrids but right now ELVs don't make much sense in my opinion. Once the charging technology (and time) and the range improve, then we can talk again. Also, we need to know how millions of ELVs will be powered without bringing the power grids down. I didn't hear of any additional investments into the ELV future from power companies.

I think it will take a long time just to fill the demand from people who just want a car to commute to work. As long as your daily commute to work is 75 miles or less (150 mile round trip) and you work a regular daytime schedule (so your car can charge overnight) then there are already electric cars to meet your needs. Unless your commute to work includes a blast down the autobahn, then the speeds adverse effect on range might be a problem. As long as these cars are being charged at night, it will take massive numbers of them to offset the current nightly drop in demand on the grid.

I enjoy trying to get some people to be more realistic by pointing out the average electric prices in Los Angeles or Germany; but in reality the price of electricity per mile is roughly the same as the price of petrol per mile even in these areas. The real challenge of electric cars is figuring if their service life and overall lifetime operating cost can offset the greater initial investment and of course the limitations in capabilities. I do not anticipate charging time and range being materially altered for a long time though.