What will the 998 engine be? Lets hope it will be visible and not buried under plastic covers. Show the mill please!

I doubt that Porsche will ever use investment cast block and heads again. Theres just too much chance for quality nightmares with such a complex design. Maybe they will outsource the block and heads to someone using Audi's patented UV laser machining technology.

I dont think that Porsche will go to a flat 8cyl motor. They will probably count on direct injection and whatever intake, cam, timing and exhaust tricks they are developing.
I cant imagine them not having a new motor without a better oil lubrication system than the M96.

Their biggest problem is thermal efficiency. The 3.8 litre engine already has the siamesed cylinders so whatever they create new will probably have lower operating temperatures.

Porsches biggest lead is in traction and a low ratio of hp loss from the engine to the wheels. Any marginal percentage improvement they can make in that area is a big advantage to
drivers.

If they chose to use the GT1 engine across the range for
performance reasons, they could lower its cost substantially by milling its block and heads using Audi's UV laser machining process. Porsche in the US quotes approx 60K for a GT3 replacement engine. Usually Porsche engine markups ex factory are 150%. If you back from that number
and deduct another 60% for the use of the labor saving audi system, the GT1 engine maybe makes business sense. Its a hope and a cure for the M96 roulette wheel motor they now use.

Beyond those generalizations I cant guess!