What a mess.

The queues for the gift store were self-inflicted.  They should have planned better for that volume, which they knew in advance.  I would have liked to have seen what was inside, but I'm not going to wait >90 minutes to get in.

I did see the Fayence Yellow CGT (no plates, Ascot interior) parked in a very strange location, along the side of the access road, east of the Purple parking areas on Friday afternoon.  Saturday, it was in the big tent east of the Cup car tent.  Glad to see you're driving your 918.  Sitting isn't good for cars.

The mess with VIP access, that I didn't hear about, not being a VIP.  That points to a lack of organization.  PAG will no doubt want changes to avoid the missteps.  Penske's organization and detail-orientation may weigh in more next time.

Some things LS does really well, such as parking and flow in and out, ticket scanning, etc.  The lack of toilets, that's not good.  I can only imagine how difficult the permitting and construction process would be for a new septic system in California.  Not being able to feed people, also not good.  It took me 20 minutes to order, another 15 to get the food, and that was Thursday.  The Corkscrew would be a great viewing location, but unless you have a groundcloth, there's really no place to sit.  The main straight grandstands--nobody seems to sit there.  Most people were at the turn 4 grandstand, if seated.  Being able to hear the PA is hit-or-miss.

There was a rumor that Canepa wants to buy Laguna Seca and improve it, but the Monterey County Board has changed their minds a lot.  Now they apparently want a 50 year lease, instead.  Plus there are the usual complaints about noise from the locals.  For sure, it needs significant investments in the infrastructure.  

Indy would be an easy drive for me, and their infrastructure is quite good.  The infield track itself, nothing special--pretty boring, really.  No Porsche history, as you note.  Weather could be great, could be wet, and it's a long way from the customer density that's in California.

Road Atlanta is close to PCNA HQ, and the track itself is better than LS.  I can't speak to the infrastructure.  There have been deluges at Petit LeMans, so much so that Wolf Henzler beat the prototypes in a 997 RSR one year, winning overall, IIRC.  A deluge like that would ruin a Rennsport Reunion.

Road America would be my biased pick, superb track, good facilities, nearly impossible to run out of parking.  Early October weather would be a crapshoot, though, could be so nice, could be 15C and raining steadily.  Their last big event is mid-September.  Hotel availability not as good as Indy, and a long drive from either coast.  Holding something during race season would limit current driver availability.

I've sat in an RS Spyder that was set up for Cooper MacNeil, which means the leg room was at maximum.  I couldn't reach the pedal box, so I can't comment.  Cooper said that if he were any taller, he couldn't drive it, as the wheel (yoke) hits his thighs as it is, in most turns.  Sascha Maassen was the main development driver, so anyone much taller will have some issues.

Jim