Don't get me started with airports, and in particular not with security. It is a mess, and there are NO standards. I actually wonder if any of the security staff has ever been flying in/out of any other airport. If you as them if you need to take out laptop or tablets, the look at you as if you are flying back to space and as if their policy is the global standard. I wish I had the guts to tell them it is not, and how useless they are. I really have to control myself.

I guess flying to Europe as a non European, is also not the most streamlined process in immigration, but I have to say that US immigration seems to take the price. We are the first line of defence, seems to be the mantra. They should ALL be replaced with passport readers, as the US already have tonnes of info on each traveller. Make spot checks as well. Last time in JFK it took nearly 2 hours to cross immigration. Compare to Dubai where if you have a passport with a chip from the majority of countries, you will pass through immigration in 5-15 minutes max. I often have 1-2 minutes. 

I am all for safety and security, but at the same time this is a travellers first meet with a country. It does say something about the entire country.