Pretty much all North American airports are a mess. European airports as a whole are very enjoyable, not many I dislike, well maybe CDG with FRA being a close 2nd. 

With Brexit my UK passport is no longer an EU one and the passport control at CDG is an absolute horror show. FRA though is ok, perhaps it's just German efficiency. 

For me from Vancouver, flying to Europe don't have a lot of choices for hubs, especially if I avoid North American airports, It's either direct to LHR, FRA, AMS, with MUC being a seasonal one and CDG 3 times a week. Between those hubs, I have access to One World, Star Alliance and SkyTeam and that just about covers all airlines and I can get to most cities on one hop. Also help that I normal jus book that first leg as a round trip to and from Vancouver, and I book the 'connecting' flights as a separate ticket to not limit my options. 

Most of the time I leave the airport and stay overnight after the first leg of the long haul. I only do same day transfer if I absolutely have to. Easier on the body, not getting any younger. 

--