There are the diehards that thinks manual is the only option and that's only available on the GT3. There are those that wants the faster car, which in this case the GT3 will ultimately be faster. But that's a never ending quest, the 992.2 GT3 is around the corner and it will be that much faster. 

The GT4RS is age old recipe, cram the biggest engine in the smallest chassis. As it happens, the 718 platform is quite capable to handle that. It's also the last of its kind, there won't be a faster .2 version. It's the top dog in that branch.

It is also the rawest car from Porsche since the 911R. It demands skills, the car won't do everything for the driver, as it's how it's suppose to be for old school guys. 

I don't have allegiance to the 911 line, I just pick whatever is the best in my opinion. If it happens to be a 911, then it's a 911, if it happens to be a 718, then 718 it is. I am lucky to be in the position that availability isn't an issue, I can get whatever from Porsche. So basically the 2 cars are competing against each other on merits alone from my point of view. 

Am I biased? Perhaps. But there wasn't another car ever that I had to wait so long for and the end result did not disappoint me one bit, it's everything I had wished for and more. The close performance to the GT3 was just the cherry on top. 

--