Holminator, I understand your interest in learning from this accident.
As Grant, RC and others have already pointed out, Ben's accident was a freak mix of unfortunate events. Not rare events, but very unfortunate ones.

You can't really learn anything from a Ferrari pulling out in front of Ben.
You can't learn not to react as a reflex as 99,9% of us would have: Try avoiding the car in your path.
You can't learn how to control a car at 150 mph on damp grass, and you can't learn from the track management putting up a perpendicular concrete wall where it shouldn't be.
I think the only thing we can deduct from this is "enjoy every minute" and "be safe".

The only advice I can give you is this:
Check out the layout of the track thoroughly before racing, and be aware of potential death traps and/or technically challenging areas.

I never knew Ben at all, but for someone I never knew, I can tell you his sad passing certainly has been on our lips a lot in my home.
Not just the first hours when the shock hit most of us, but on a regular basis when driving.
The other day I was doing appr. 230-240 km/h (appr. 145 mhp) on a completely empty freeway on a stretch with no off or on-ramps....when suddenly I got to think of Ben and Corey's accident.
As much fun as I had at that speed, I lifted the foot and crawled down to around 80-90 mhp. I just hit me that things happen when we least expect them to. A deer passing, a lapse in your concentration, a technical glitch...pick one.

Living in fear will kill us slowly.
Fearing death will keep us alive.

Holminator. I don't mean to philosophize (is that an actual word...??) this debate, but I do believe your question calls for a more philosphical answer than a technical one.
Hope this helps.

And to Nick.
I never got a chance to say I'm sorry for your personal loss.
I realize you knew Ben personally and saw him on a regular basis.
If you need to vent send me a PM. I'm not too shabby a listener.
(No clever remarks now, anyone...ok?)

I hope we can all start remembering Ben for the positive he did while living, and let time take care of the all too vivid images of his departure from this life.
When my father passed I remember standing in the graveyard spotting a inscripted tombstone saying "in deep sorrow". And I remember saying to myself: "Why would they create an eternal monument of sorrow - instead of celebrating this man's life?".

Let's be realistic here. There are two sorts of sorrow and shock in this case. Those of us who didn't know Ben or Corey but still feel affected because we are forced to stop and think "it could have been any of us" and "life is so fragile" - and those of you who actually knew Ben via this board or even a lot better than that. I suggest Ben's friends and regular debators on rennteam decide when it is appropriate to dissect his accident.
Im not sure we can learn very much. I think it's the wrong crowd to preech the apparent to: Don't go 150 mph.

No matter which group you belong in - please be sensiblee when you enter your sportscar.
Remember: It can make your day or seal your fate.

Peace and be safe