olli:

Agreed, the new 992 road car turbo engine basically needs to create a lot of performance headroom, given that the current generation has completely exhausted its performance and development potential.

As you say, the lack of a "960" makes this all the more important. Still, they may decide to cut a few (cost) corners on the petrol engine itself, as the possible addition of hybrid elments may make up for an engine performance shortfall vis-a-vis the competition.

In any event, the question would be if this new road car engine, even if high-tech and with high power potential, could also spawn a reliable race engine version, thereby allowing them to kill two or three birds (Turbo/S, RSR, GT2 RS) with one stone.

I heard that and please don't nail me on this one because my contacts to Porsche Motorsport are very limited (mostly through Weissach and other people) Porsche will not develop a race car engine based on a road car engine and vice versa because of changing reglementations, different racing series and also changing environmental and sound emissions laws. So this basically means that the race engines won't have much in common with the road car engines and vice versa, even if some features will be marketed as common.

Again, my contacts to Porsche Motorsport are very limited, so... Smiley

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Carrera 4 GTS Cabriolet, Porsche Macan Turbo, Audi R8 V10 Plus (2017), Mini JCW (2015), Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT (2014)