McLaren was a risk to Ferrari, not anymore. They fucked it up the moment they pursued 'new sales' basically a decade ago. And they haven't recovered since.

12C was a GREAT competitor to Ferraris back then. It was innovative. Got me into buying one of the first in Canada and basically be their walking billboard here.

They lost that innovation immediately when they radically changed the styling to joker face 650. Putting new clothes on the car and call it 'new' and 'different'. 

Up until recently, every McLaren was basically the same car, same chassis same wheelbase, same tub with some slight modifications to suits the need, same engine with different tunes, same gearbox even. Highlight of this failure was the P1, they had to hack job a hybrid system into it to compete with Ferrari and Porsche. 

Because of the way they chase new car sales, they shafted their existing clients on retained value of their purchase. They were expecting the free money to keep buying their 'new' models to sustain their business case. That didn't happened, and it hurts their bottomline and got them to where they are right now financially, so bad that stye had to sell their own HQ building. That's embarrassing. 

It doesn't have to be this way. Look at Lamborghini, each model CAN have a long and successful life, Huracan had many variants, but they all Huracans. Same with Gallardo before that. Even the Aventadors. And McLaren should have copied how Lamborghini did it for their special models that's based on the Aventador, McLaren marketing really fucked up their own business. 

Heck, they could have looked at Porsche and do it that way also. 911s all started off as the same basic body in white, but through content and tuning, Porsche made a couple dozen variants out of the same chassis and each with distinct personality and target audience. Heck, Porsche basically made a completely different car in Cayman/Boxster from that chassis platform, and start a whole lot of variants for that. 

McLaren can't even dream about the volume of cars moved like Ferrari, so they will never be able to afford the flexibility Ferrari can do with different chassis for different models. They could have gone the Lamborghini path and build up their volume to at least chase Lamborghini, but nope, that chance have past and gone. 

Ferrari will stand alone. No one has the same brand power and loyalty. Lamborghini tried for like 60 years and still failed. 

I had promised myself I am not buying another Ferrari after what I been though, but secretly, I am still eyeing which Ferrari I want to buy next. That's how strong the Ferrari pull is. 

--