RC:
CGX car nut:

That review was actually less critical of the car than other reviews.  AMG tried to produce a performance car within the confines of onerous regulations and missed its target substantially.  Perhaps an EV was a better alternative than this weighty hybrid; however, I doubt it too would come close to the visceral appeal of previous generations.  I’m afraid that Porsche will miss the mark with an EV Boxster/Cayman too. 

The new C63 S AMG is actually a great car, a fast car and...well...nothing more. I like the new C63 S AMG from a technology point of view but let's be honest here: What is the advantage of this car, other that the hybrid and maybe having the latest C class? Smiley

Me and my son were sitting in the living room yesterday, discussing cars and emotions.

We all know that at some point, there is going to be a speed limit in Germany, there is no doubt about it in my mind. 

So what fun would the new C63 S AMG actually be when you have a speed limit? Exactly. None

So the second question was, what cars are fun to drive even at lower speeds? Our list of cars, especially newer ones, shrank quite a lot.

Tesla S Plaid? Superfast but boring at lower speeds. Maybe fun to accelerate from stop light to stop light but then...is it really that much fun? All the time? Nope.

Porsche 992 Turbo S? Amazing car, fast as hell but sounds like crap at lower speeds, maybe as a Cabriolet more fun.

GT3/GT3 RS models? Definitely fun, especially in curves, no super high speeds necessary, they also sound decent. 

911 Carrera models? Well, to be honest, I would choose the Cabriolets only but definitely fun in curves, no doubt.

BMW M3/M4? Hmm...I would probably choose the Cab with AWD only, with the exception of the Touring maybe. Fun cars to drive but not really at lower speeds.

Lamborghini? Well, we all know how they sound, they are fun even at lower speeds.

Ferrari? Close to Lamborghini in the fun department, not sure however the 296 GTB makes much sense here, maybe the SF90 but still...I think a F8, 488, 458 and so on make more sense.

I was thinking about getting the new M5 (hybrid with over 700 hp) in 2024 as a daily driver but again, makes no sense, no fun when there is a speed limit.

Looked up so many cars with my son but in the end, it always comes to older V8/V12 models, maybe the new Corvette Z06 (when available in Europe, if they don't castrate the sound), maybe a GT3/GT3 RS, maybe a 911 Carrera 4 S or GTS Cab as a daily driver, old AMG models or maybe the new SL55 or 63 AMG?

Difficult but one thing is clear: I want a car I can enjoy at lower speeds as well. Unfortunately there aren't many of these cars on the market and the new ones are getting more and more boring.

Excellent post.Smiley 

As a society we are transitioning from cars being entertainment pods to mere transportation devices. Not only will performance be impacted. Vehicle styling will undergo significant change. Tesla looks like it’s be styled in Russia/China. An upgraded version of Prius. No longer will form follow function because performance is not a priority.Smiley

--

The purpose of life is to enjoy the moment.