Quote:
69bossnine said:
B.S.. One of my father's oldest friends lives in Dearborn, MI (retired from Ford), and for kicks and something to do, he works for the company that handles Porsche's press fleet, distributing cars to all of the major magazines and media outlets, etc.. He's the kind of guy that you could toss the keys for a Carrera GT to, and you could trust him 110% with it. He called me just yesterday from Waterford Hills Road Racing Course, where Porsche was holding a track event. He called because there were two Carrera GT's there, one yellow and one silver, and he was going to try to get an opportunity to let me hear one rev through the phone! Unfortunatly, I never heard back from him on that! He also mentioned that he had been chatting with an engineer from Porsche that was there, and was told that the Carrera S was truly on the ragged-edge with 93 octane gas, that 92 octane would hurt performance (the computer's knock sensor would dial back timing), and that 94 octane would actually enhance performance a bit. I told him that 93 is all we have down here, except for 100 octane Cam 2 that costs friggin $5.00/gallon. Anyhow, the message was, don't put cheap 92-octane premium in the car, it likes at least 93 or more. Of course, if you live in higher altitudes, that all changes. I'm in Florida, where a good tidal wave would have us all swimming. Your dealer telling you to use lower-octane gas is absolutely full of sh**. You've got a problem that they need to do a better job of diagnosing. I put Shell 93 in my Carrera S yesterday. It's running like a champ.

In the west we only have 91 octane. So your theory is not correct. The car was designed to run on at least 91 octane. If it was not, then all the cars in California (Porsche's largest market) would be slower than a Hyundai.