Quote:
Dr. Phil said:If this mid-engine 911/Boxster clone catches on, maybe Porsche will have a new platform as a replacement or direct sister to the 911.
The 911 is a proof that you CAN beat the laws of nature, but perhaps Porsche is looking for a way of making sure they have a layout that will work 10 years from now, when the competition and demands are even greater?
Maybe Porsche knows that a rear-end engine layout has its limits when demands rise.
Maybe the mid-engine design of the cayman/Boxster will take over the 911's spot, maybe the CGT will serve as important input and learnings to that process?
You can be a die-hard 911 fan, but Porsche didn't make their most advanced car a rear-engine car. I think it's a matter of time before Porsche goes mid-engine thru-out their sportscar line-up.
Trouble is they have to replace an almost irreplaceable and indispensable model in the process.
Is the 911 the heart of Porsche, or would Porsche prevail and perhaps do even better without it?
Unthinkable?
Gimme your thoughts.

Le Doc

Dr Phil I think this is EXACTLY what Porsche struggles with when they think about their strategy for the next 10-15 years.

The physics of the mid-engine layout mean it has greater potential for performance evolution than that of a rear-engine car. Hence the CGT's layout. I agree with your argument about the CGT being a signal of Porsche's future. They WILL leverage what they learned building that vehicle into other products. The Cayman may well be the "embryo" from which those products eventually evolve. If the 911 didn't exist, I think the Cayman would be a much higher performance vehicle NOW, proabably with many of the same model variants that are currently offered for the 911 (turbo, GT3/RS, etc) being available now or in the next 1-2 years. The 911, while highly profitable and prestigous, is an albatross as far as development of Porsche's other products are concerned.

Personally I think Porsche's best course of action is to develop both the 911 and Cayman lines independently, allowing each to have the model variants that Porsche thinks they can sell, but "link" them through the "performance vs profit" curve. If the profit per vehcile is the same, does Porsche really care if its a Cayman or 911? Some people will always be more interested in the rear engine 911 (4 seats, tradition, styling, etc) and some would want a mid-engine layout, and ultimately, a higher performance envelope. Both can coexist, but Porsche needs to envision and market an entire line of Camyan variants at prices similar to the 911's if the mid-engine platform is to reach its full potential. Maybe this is already their plan and we are simply starting with what we have now, the detuned 295hp Cayman S. We'll see.

And yes, I'm aware that the CGT is already the summit of mid engine perfromance, but as a limited edition supercar it's not really a part of their future production plans.

mcdelaug