Crown

Board: AMG Mercedes Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: G63 sold out

--

nberry:

Christian, I don't think you know what you want.

You claim you want a DD car yet covet the GT3 as your DD. This coming from a guy who drives a Lambo Performance. 

You claim you love top down driving and yet when I read your review of the MB my thought was here is a guy trying to find reasons not to buy the car.If the price is above you your limit buy used. yes

Compromising on the dumpy looking BMW is not the answer.indecision

I know exactly what I want: I want a daily driver but I also want a convertible as a daily driver. My Z4 M40i is a lot of fun, especially when the sun shines. 

Why would you think the GT3 Touring isn‘t a good daily driver? 👀🤷🏻‍♂️ I know a guy who drives one as a daily driver and he is very happy. No traction issues in winter time on winter tires and the lift helps with snow.

I had several 911 as daily drivers, so I really don‘t know what you mean?! 🤷🏻‍♂️

The Performante is quite the different beast compared to the GT3 Touring. 😉

Used SL63 prices aren‘t far away from new SL prices, this is the dilemma right now because new SL prices have dropped. Also, I do not like buying(!) a used car because when I buy, I plan to keep the car longer.

A lease of the SL63 is out of the question, way too expensive right now. Lease offers are quite bad due to the increased interest rates.

Dumpy looking BMW? 👀🤷🏻‍♂️ I love how the M3 CS looks, the interior is a treat and quality is really good.

The SL63 was never on my radar because cars optioned the way I like/need it, were around 210k EUR here and I set my budget for a daily driver at 160k. Then I found out that prices have dropped substantially and suddenly the SL became an option but prices for a new one are still too high (around 180k) and I don‘t know what to do because I get the feeling that prices will drop further in winter.

The initial plan was to get the M3 CS and to buy „my“ daily driver Z4 M40i once the lease ends end of next year.

The SL63 would be an option to save money and get ONE car only, no need for two cars.

Right now, I‘m still going for the M3 CS but the SL63 is very tempting…if I could get one for 160k…NEW. 😉

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Lamborghini Huracan Performante (2019), BMW Z4 M40i (2022), Jeep Grand Cherokee Trackhawk (2019 EU)

I wouldn't buy anymore a sports car like a GT3 as a daily driver.

Why would I want to miss luggage space for daily use? 
    Why would I want to have a suspension for sporty driving in a city with sometimes (often) bad roads and road bumpers where you have to extremly slow down or even raise your car up?
    Why would I want to have the loud noice when driving in the city, in morning or evening.?
    Why do I need 300 hp or more in the city, where we have nearly all 30 km/h in the city. 

My former S63 AMG cabrio was nice but wasn't practible enough to call it a true DD.

I have in my garage two perfect vehicles for the city: Vespa 300 and Fiat 500 e cabrio. And my e-bike. I would choose something not so expensive where it doesn't heart you when someone scratches your car. 

Just my 5 cents

--

AM

N11KOY:

Does anyone know if the AMG GT will be available with an E Performance engine?

https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/new-cars/2024-mercedes-amg-gt-plug-hybrid-tipped-800bhp

ALDO:

I wouldn't buy anymore a sports car like a GT3 as a daily driver.

Why not?

Why would I want to miss luggage space for daily use? 

Behind front seats? Smiley

Why would I want to have a suspension for sporty driving in a city with sometimes (often) bad roads and road bumpers where you have to extremly slow down or even raise your car up?

You can't be serious? I drive in all my cars in the sportiest setup and still find them to be too soft. Bad roads? So many bad roads but still...no issues. There wasn't a single instance (with one exception in Italy, Lake Garda, speed bump), where I had to use the lift.

Why would I want to have the loud noice when driving in the city, in morning or evening.?

Again, you can't be serious? This is all the fun. Smiley

Why do I need 300 hp or more in the city, where we have nearly all 30 km/h in the city. 

It isn't necessarily about the power but about the car, the feel, the whole experience.

My former S63 AMG cabrio was nice but wasn't practible enough to call it a true DD.

The S63 AMG Cab would be a complete NO GO for me. The SL63 is already too comfortable for me (in RACE!!!) and trust me, the SL63 is no slouch like the old one. Even the C63 S Cab I had was less sporty...

I have in my garage two perfect vehicles for the city: Vespa 300 and Fiat 500 e cabrio. And my e-bike. I would choose something not so expensive where it doesn't heart you when someone scratches your car. 

Smiley Sorry but this would a complete NO GO for me.
    Vespa? I'm not 16 anymore. Smiley I almost bought a BMW M1000RR a few weeks ago, dealer offered me one a customer ordered but he didn't pick it up, they asked only 26k EUR for it, brand-new with all the goodies. No way I would ride a motorcycle again, I have two kids to take care of and responsibilities. One idiot who doesn't pay attention and you're dead. Smiley

Just my 5 cents

Accepted but not my 5 cents. Smiley Smiley

Don't worry though: My son is 20 and complaints that my cars are too stiff and too uncomfortable, his favorite feature in the SL63 was the...massage seats. Smiley Smiley

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Lamborghini Huracan Performante (2019), BMW Z4 M40i (2022), Jeep Grand Cherokee Trackhawk (2019 EU)

BONES:
    N11KOY:

Does anyone know if the AMG GT will be available with an E Performance engine?

https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/new-cars/2024-mercedes-amg-gt-plug-hybrid-tipped-800bhp

Yes and the SL as well... 

--

Christian, Aldo makes very good points which obviously your bias prevents you from seeing. I'll repeat, you're conflicted and not sure what you want.

Sit down, be true to yourself and reassess.indecision

--

The purpose of life is to enjoy the moment.

Attorney and life coach, loving the empathy, hehehe

nberry:

Christian, Aldo makes very good points which obviously your bias prevents you from seeing. I'll repeat, you're conflicted and not sure what you want.

Or...I am different than you guys. Every person is an individual, I don't have to like what you like and vice versa. 

Basic human nature/psychology. Smiley

I did. It is a matter of personal perspective and evaluation. Of course money as well.

I know what I want but I don't know if it is the right choice. Smiley

Btw: The SL63 is a more compromised car than the M3 CS is, JFYI. As a daily driver, the M3 CS would be perfect.

--

mcdelaug:

Attorney and life coach, loving the empathy, hehehe

The last thing I need right now is a life coach (long story). Smiley

--

RC:
    nberry:

Or...I am different than you guys. Every person is an individual, I don't have to like what you like and vice versa. 

I did. It is a matter of personal perspective and evaluation. Of course money as well.

Btw: The SL63 is a more compromised car than the M3 CS is, JFYI. As a daily driver, the M3 CS would be perfect.

You are right Christian, we are all different. Sometimes one group is larger than the other one. This seems to be when we are talking about daily driving cars. One is sure, you will make your decision regardless how many people have different opinion about a dd car. 

Enjoy the car whatever it will be.

--

AM

ALDO:
    RC:
    nberry:

You are right Christian, we are all different. Sometimes one group is larger than the other one. This seems to be when we are talking about daily driving cars. One is sure, you will make your decision regardless how many people have different opinion about a dd car. 

Enjoy the car whatever it will be.

Smiley Smiley

--

Finally, your mind has decided. cool

--

Watch him change it again tomorrorw

--

Whoopsy:

Gladiator (4/8) Movie CLIP - Are You Not Entertained? (2000 ...

Whoopsy:

Guys...honestly: I don't have a clue what you are talking about Smiley since I haven't made any decision yet. Smiley

I think there was some sort of misunderstanding in what I said.

Decision has to be taken latest next week Friday because I have to cancel the M3 CS order without paying any "punishment fees" (15% of the car's value Smiley) if I decide to go for the SL63 instead. 

A dealer suggested I take the M3 CS and sell it to him afterwards, he would without any doubt pay what I paid in December, so I wouldn't lose a dime. I know this guy for a very long time, he is trustworthy. Unfortunately I have signed a contract with BMW which doesn't allow me to sell the car within 6 months of delivery and the car has to be registered by the dealer once I decide to pick it up. Meaning: I cannot sell it, unless I register it on my name and then the dealer cannot guarantee to me that he can pay what I paid for. M3 CS are still selling slightly(!) above MSRP here in Germany but there is no guarantee that this will stay the same in December, especially since BMW is supposed to announce the M4 CS and maybe the M3 Touring CS around autumn/winter time.

Btw: Those M3 CS selling at MSRP or even slightly below here in Germany are cars which have been accidentally (I rather call it stupidity because sales persons knew) ordered with the shadow front-lights, meaning that the yellow icons (yellow lights) were DELETED. Stupid. Since there is no way to LEGALLY retrofit or install yellow lights in Germany, these cars are hard to sell. Most of them also lack ceramic brakes. Why would someone order a CS without the ceramic brakes. This is no professional track tool, you're better off with a much cheaper M3 Comp xDrive. Got one offered last week for 100k EUR flat, brand-new, all the options, no ceramic brakes and bucket seats though. Still, an amazing offer in my opinion.

Got offered a 992 Carrera GTS with very low mileage (3000 km) and bucket seats/carbon roof for an attractive price (165k EUR) as well but after taking another test drive...nope, I know why I left Porsche. Smiley Great car, amazing chassis and steering but it just isn't what I am looking for in a daily driver. The GT3 Touring is still my favorite (the engine alone is worth it) but at some point, I have to make a sound financial decision and I can't just throw around with money. 

Sad because the GT3 Touring is really my favorite but I cannot justify to pay around 75-80k more for a daily driver, can't afford it. Smiley

In the end, I think it is going to be the M3 CS because it makes most sense as a daily driver and I can keep the Z4 M40i after the lease runs out but I didn't want to have two daily drivers anymore, so this is kind of a bummer...

Speaking of interesting track tools: Talked to a guy yesterday at my BMW dealer who bought a BMW M2. MSRP was 87k EUR, he got the car for 79k EUR.  Brand-new. He already tuned it (downpipes, exhaust, software) and the car makes a "reliable" 610 hp and around 700 Nm torque (as far as I remember the numbers correctly) on the dyno. He also added a KW chassis (V5?) to it. He told me that traction is better than he expected, no issues, basically same as with the stock car according to him. Car is very fast, 100 to 200 in slightly above 7 seconds (7.4 I think) amazing. Total cost of the car including tuning around 100k. Looks pretty stealth, black. Everything is street legal. He also has a M3 CS on order, the car is supposed to arrive in November. He will use the M2 for track events, not the M3 CS (he will not tune it).

--

Speaking for myself, I would never buy a car unless I was excited and passionate about how I would enjoy it. In other words, fully committed without any doubts. kiss

--

nberry:

Speaking for myself, I would never buy a car unless I was excited and passionate about how I would enjoy it. In other words, fully committed without any doubts. kiss

Tell that to my bank account... Smiley Smiley

--

nberry:

100%

mcdelaug:
    nberry:

100%

There is no perfect car. Every car is, in it's way, a compromise. More or less. 

I am passionate and excited about all the cars I consider to buy(!), maybe even to lease but this doesn't mean that they fulfill my needs/desires 100%. I think in my case, I would need many different cars to cover everything I want from a car. Smiley

Here is my list (in addition to those I already drive):

BMW M3 CS 

Porsche GT3 RS

Porsche GT3 Touring

Porsche Spyder RS

Mercedes SL 63 AMG

Mercedes G63 AMG

Lamborghini Urus Performante

Porsche Carrera GTS Convertible

Ferrari 296 GTB

Corvette C8 Z06

Dodge Challenger SRT Demon 170

Ferrari 458 Speciale Aperta

BMW M5 CS

Ford Mustang Dark Horse

As you can see, there are even two older cars in that list... Smiley

Also, I am very modest: No Koenigsegg, no Pagani, no Bugatti...these hypercars are not for me (anymore), I want to play with the cars and I can't do that with a HP monster. Unless I want to kill myself. Smiley Exception is the Demon 170 but this would only be a car to drive when I crave some brutal US power without ever going to the drag strip. Smiley

Now where were we with my bank account again? Smiley Nick (nberry)? Others? Smiley

--

Ok RC, thank you. Let’s make this interesting. Four car garage, within reason, what would it be?

I am in London with two car parks, so am at 992 touring GT3 and Cayenne turbo (which Ii am lucky to have both already). But it would be nice to go to four cars.

No paganis, Bugattis or Koenigsegg (prob out of most of our leagues, at least mine)

RC:
    nberry:

In this case, not buying anything is certainly the best decision one can take.

--

Nicolas
    Macan S/Ex-997.1/997.2 S/991.1 S/991.1 C4 GTS

Nico997:
    RC:
    nberry:

In this case, not buying anything is certainly the best decision one can take.

--

Nicolas

So I guess I have to open a new forum named pedestriansteam.com . SmileySmileySmiley

I can only buy a car within my limits. I want something new or relatively new. The time of SL63, M3 CS, GT3 Touring, etc. and such cars will be over soon. BMW declared recently that they jumped a generation of their 3 series with the new concept, meaning that after the current 3 series facelift, the 3 series will be electric only. This will be valid for the M models as well. The new M3 EV is rumored to have up to 1200(!) hp in it's maximum configuration, one electric motor on each wheel. A quad "engine" (electric) setup. This is the future. Same goes to other car manufacturers.

So if I do not buy now, when? Now is the time to get what I CAN afford. You can't be serious saying "don't buy anything if you can't afford a Bugatti".  SmileySmiley

I understand what you are trying to say but I'm a car guy, I love cars but I have to stay within my financial means, also because I am not far away from retirement and I don't want to sleep in my Bugatti when I'm homeless after I retire. SmileySmiley

--

996FourEss:

Ok RC, thank you. Let’s make this interesting. Four car garage, within reason, what would it be?

I am in London with two car parks, so am at 992 touring GT3 and Cayenne turbo (which Ii am lucky to have both already). But it would be nice to go to four cars.

No paganis, Bugattis or Koenigsegg (prob out of most of our leagues, at least mine)

992 GT3

Cayenne Turbo GT (Turbo is "acceptable" Smiley Smiley)

SL63 AMG (roadster with power, sound and daily driver capabilities)

Ferrari 296 GTB (if you want supercar performance paired with excellent driving capabilities) or a Corvette C8 Z06 (for that mixture between a US V8 and a Ferrari)

--

RC:

So I guess I have to open a new forum named pedestriansteam.com . SmileySmileySmiley

I can only buy a car within my limits. I want something new or relatively new. The time of SL63, M3 CS, GT3 Touring, etc. and such cars will be over soon. BMW declared recently that they jumped a generation of their 3 series with the new concept, meaning that after the current 3 series facelift, the 3 series will be electric only. This will be valid for the M models as well. The new M3 EV is rumored to have up to 1200(!) hp in it's maximum configuration, one electric motor on each wheel. A quad "engine" (electric) setup. This is the future. Same goes to other car manufacturers.

So if I do not buy now, when? Now is the time to get what I CAN afford. You can't be serious saying "don't buy anything if you can't afford a Bugatti".  SmileySmiley

I understand what you are trying to say but I'm a car guy, I love cars but I have to stay within my financial means, also because I am not far away from retirement and I don't want to sleep in my Bugatti when I'm homeless after I retire. SmileySmiley

You well know that this is not what I said. My remark is not that you wait until you can afford the Bugatti, but to not spend for the simple beauty of spending if you are not fully convinced by what you will get, whatever the future of the brands you like looks like. Of course you do whatever you want with your money, but with all the respect I owe you, this attitude is more the one of a kid in a candy shop than the one of a soon retired person with the wisdom that his life should have brought him.

And if a new forum named pedestriansteam.com might be quite visionnary indeed, at this stage you clearly lack the credibility required to get… traction. Get rid of the Huracan, the Z4 and the Cherokee Trackhawk first, or keep focusing on rennteam.com enjoying the great cars you already own to their fullest. 

On a side note, THERE IS A PERFECT CAR. It is called Porsche 911 Turbo. Nothing in your list beats it for a daily use and it is even better with an S attached to its name.

--

Nicolas

National-popcorn-day GIFs - Get the best GIF on GIPHY

The 911 Turbo (incl. S) is the most boring sports car on the planet. Sorry. Smiley

I exchanged my 991.1 Turbo S with a 991.1 Carrera 4 GTS Convertible after only 6 months. Boring.

The 992.1 Turbo S is a fantastic car, it is incredibly faster from a stop and it can do every really good...too good. Perfection can be boring and the 911 Turbo S is boring in my opinion. This is just me.

If Porsche would offer a 992 GT3 Touring Convertible, I would be in 7th heaven. Add AWD to it and it would be even better. Never going to happen.

The Trackhawk will disappear, the Z4 is a wonderful daily driver and the Performante is a completely different story.

I need a daily driver which is also fun to drive. Not many choices out there but I rather enjoy the Z4 than a 992.1 Turbo S. Sorry. Smiley

--

When I was given a 911 turbo s as a loaner I felt the same way. It really was a non event to drive.

The engine is an absolute peach a marvel but I was still glad to get back in my GT3

--

throt

991 GT3 pick up in October 2014.

991 GT3.2 pick up April/May 2018. ( Hairy Chest Spec ).

Vauxhall Zafira 1.6 Exclusive pick up June 2013. ( Shit Box )

Toyota GR Yaris CP pick up December 2022.

Rennteam Hairy Chest Advisor.

That was the whole mission statement for a turbo/turbo S, drama free all purpose car. They don't excel in any one particular area but they are extremely competent at everything. 

I tried my hardest to find a replacement, I can't. Not the FF, not the new SL63, certainly not a McLaren GT, literally there is nothing that's equivalent. 

--

Whoopsy:

That was the whole mission statement for a turbo/turbo S, drama free all purpose car. They don't excel in any one particular area but they are extremely competent at everything. 

I tried my hardest to find a replacement, I can't. Not the FF, not the new SL63, certainly not a McLaren GT, literally there is nothing that's equivalent. 

There is nothing out there coming close as an all purpose car, no doubt about it. The 911 Turbo S is honestly the best daily driver supercar out there. Indeed. Smiley It would definitely be in my garage if I had multiple cars and all the money in the world but it gets difficult if you have to choose one car as a daily driver. 

The SL63 comes second but only for one reason: Money. For the money Mercedes is usually (MSRP) asking, the car is not worth it. Smiley At a 20-25% discount (new), worth every penny. Smiley Smiley

--

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 5/15/24 8:44 AM
    art.italy
    819619 1808
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    455505 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    277961 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    93732 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    11385 50
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    979403 3868
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

897416 1364
    Porsche GT4RS 4/21/24 11:50 AM