Crown

Board: Other Sports Cars Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

R8 vs the competition picture

Very nice comparison pic from kevr6 over on Fourtitude
    Which one would you choose

Re: R8 vs the competition picture

For looks alone, the AM, otherwise the 911.

V8 Vantage (but it must be kept in mind that I am quite biased).

Quote:
    Crash said:
    For looks alone, the AM, otherwise the 911.

Me too, but not just for the looks

Quote:
    Friscorays said:
    V8 Vantage (but it must be kept in mind that I am quite biased).

Although I'm awaiting my R8, I shall say the vantage looks awesome. In this picture R8 doesn't look that great .

Temm, thanks for the pic.

Very interesting to see "them" together.

For me, the Vantqage is clearly nicer, and have to say that the R8 (at least in this photo) is the weakest in this point.

Either V8 Vantage or 997, very hard decision between these two.
    SL is too old and too heavy, R8 just doesn't do it for me.

Great pic BTW.

997 all the wayyyy!

On the street , the Vantage looks like pretty much every AM model. Some folks even mistake it for a Jaguar, as their two brands'styling was so much influenced by the same designers/overseers within the Ford empire.

Quote:
    MKW said:
    On the street , the Vantage looks like pretty much every AM model.

Which is not the worst thing that can be said about a car...

Yes it does look like every other Aston model: gorgeous. Nothing wrong with that. Is it really so bad for someone to mistake my V8 for a DB9 or Vanquish?

The fact than some think it is a Jaguar just points out that a large portion of the population doesn't care that much about cars. Have someone drive by in a Cayman and poll 100 people what they just saw. I bet the most common answer will be "a Porsche 911."

Quote:
    MKW said:
    On the street , the Vantage looks like pretty much every AM model. Some folks even mistake it for a Jaguar, as their two brands'styling was so much influenced by the same designers/overseers within the Ford empire.

Sorry, but can't agree.

The Vantage is the most agressive Aston. The Vanquish is more "Daddy" (or "Moby") like, and the DB7 has more sleek lines (The Jag can compare more to this).

In any case, besides the past ownership from Ford, the Astons' lines are a heritage of the Brand...It's just Jaguar (whith no ideas, or not following their tradittion) who is trying to approach to Aston. And I can see nothing of a Ford.....

All this besides the fact of the number of Aston you can see compared with Jaguars, Porsches, Mercedes or Audis, anytime on the streets or roads (at least in Europe): of course, they are still "exotics", not so common, and with a high degree of class (only more HP needed!)

Give me the Aston or the 911 ANYday...

Quote:
    Friscorays said:
    Yes it does look like every other Aston model: gorgeous. Nothing wrong with that. Is it really so bad for someone to mistake my V8 for a DB9 or Vanquish?

The fact than some think it is a Jaguar just points out that a large portion of the population doesn't care that much about cars. Have someone drive by in a Cayman and poll 100 people what they just saw. I bet the most common answer will be "a Porsche 911."

I'd be willing to bet on it being: "I don't know", followed by a . A lot of people I know would have a very hard time recognizing a Ferrari as a Ferrari even with the F badge..

The AM takes the 1st prize for looks and the P-car takes the prize period

Quote:
    Friscorays said:

You hit it right on the head : we are car enthusiasts , but even with the knowldge of the three models, I have a heck of a time figuring each one out unless I stare at it . They all have similar nose jobs, side graphics ,stance and rear ends . No similar prob with Porsches, Ferraris, Audis, Lambos, etc., etc.,

Quote:
    MKW said:
    No similar prob with Porsches, Ferraris, Audis, Lambos, etc., etc.,

Have to disagree with you on this one:

Porsche 911 vs Cayman.

Ferrari 360 vs 430.

Audi every model vs every other model.

I think these can be hard to distinguish between even for enthusiasts.

Quote:
    Friscorays said:

About a year ago my brother-in-law pulled in to the Bank drive through with his Turbo cab the teller commented that she loved his Boxster . you can imagine how pissed he was .

Quote:
    Ron (Houston) said:
    Quote:
    Friscorays said:

About a year ago my brother-in-law pulled in to the Bank drive through with his Turbo cab the teller commented that she loved his Boxster . you can imagine how pissed he was .

Pissed? He should have been ecstatic! Chicks dig the Boxster and that was the biggest compliment a woman could give .

OK... NO cheating ..name that AM model 1,2,3 as it flies by you at an intersection :

[

Quote:
    MKW said:
    OK... NO cheating ..name that AM model 1,2,3 as it flies by you at an intersection :

[

1. VAnquish
    2. DB9
    3. DB7

They all look alike .

They all look alike .

Not in the real world

Their proportions are absolutely diferent

In an Aston dealer you can see it very clearly. Of course they are all Astons, they have a common personality, but not the same.

In any case, in the street they can be confused.....they are still strange creatures!

From the cars in this picture I would say the Vantage.
    But the price with sportshift and some options is so close to the Turbo I actualy switched my order a year ago.
    I did not like the clutch/stick in the Vantage. Love it in my Turbo.

Quote:
    Crash said:
    Quote:
    MKW said:

[

1. VAnquish
    2. DB9
    3. DB7

They all look alike .

2. Is AM V8. And you call yourself an enthusiast.

It's true all Aston Martins look alike. Their looks are also very overrated. Not nearly as striking or attractive as they should be in the person

And definitely yes, all 911 and cayman/boxsters look alike.

Quote:
    svtrader1 said:
    Quote:
    Crash said:
    Quote:
    MKW said:

[

1. VAnquish
    2. DB9
    3. DB7

They all look alike .

2. Is AM V8. And you call yourself an enthusiast.

It's true all Aston Martins look alike. Their looks are also very overrated. Not nearly as striking or attractive as they should be in the person

And definitely yes, all 911 and cayman/boxsters look alike.

Mixed up the names but thought of the right car.

for me
    1 vantage
    2 r8
    3 997
    4 sl

Quote:
    svtrader1 said:

The V8 does not have much street presence, I'll grant you that. I never got used to the hatchback design either..

But the Vanquish

Every time I see it parked or driving down the street it's an instant from me at least (and the noise it makes!), the street presence it has is huge

I was originally going to include this FOURTH model too :

The hood of the R8 looks like a fancy toilet seat.

Does anyone else see it? From now on that is all I will think of when I see it.

Audi should have just made a 'cheap' V8 Lambo priced in the $120s and given up trying to make that fugly Audi front end into a supercar. (Not enough lipstick in the world for that pig)

997 is #1. All others are boxes with wheels.

It's really very simple:

What car do you prefer?

Which one suits your needs "in general"?

And generally thinking, we are all talking about really good cars, even we disagree about "this" or "that".

Under this therat proposal, and just for me, only the Vantage and the Carrera are in the league, stilish or performancewise, but all respects towards other preferences the R8 or the Mercedes)

And refering to the Carrera vs the Vantage,

things are very clear: for a very slim line, the Carrera overtakes the vantage in handling and in performance. BUT, under the same impartial sight, and from a very wide distance, the Vantage overtakes the Carrera in style (specially the interior), finishes and lines.

Both very nice ones....I sold the 977 (too predictable and underpowered) and ordered a Vantage (also predictable and more underpowered, but, at least, with a better finish and also under an unmatchable style)...moreover, after some time changed my the order...I'm sure under Prodrive we will have a much improved suggestion very soon....(I know, I'm sick...but I feel that a "powered" Aston will come before a "Proper sport Carrera").

Last week in the Aston dealer in Barcelona (nearby home), I saw another car in "offer"....It was (or is) a "Silver" Gallardo.... "just for 140K"...not a bad deal. the car is in a very good shape (regardless I deslike the blue interior)..

Please beleive me, I love the Gallardo. I could buy it and stand with the "blue" interior....BUT....it was beside a Vantage.....

Sorry about my feelings, but the Lambo seemed "tacky"...just as "Toy"....

I do not want to regret Lambos...I love them...just my five cents of the sensation of seing together a Gallardo and a "humble" Vantage.....

The Aston fits much, much more my personality....If I wanna race, I'd go to other "edges" (Ultima and Radical)

But my words are just "bla, bla" ...what is really important is that everybody matches his/her preferences.....

I have close friends who love the R8, and even ordered!...If they are happy , I will also be!

BTW, next week a close friend of mine (only had Porsches all his life) is coming to Barcelona with a remarkable 944 S2 he found in mint condition...This is joy!

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 5/15/24 8:44 AM
    art.italy
    814999 1808
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    453543 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    273804 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    92329 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    9907 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

892980 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    853974 3868
    Porsche GT4RS 4/21/24 11:50 AM