Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Tell us what it's like

For those of us who are going crazy waiting to take delivery of our 997 it would be really good if all those who have their 997 were to post details of their 997 driving experience. Obviously the report RC prepared was extremely detailed and no doubt took a considerable time to prepare, however a short description of your 997 driving experience could be posted with minimal effort. How does it compare to your 996 or 993??? or what ever you had before. Come on tell us what it's like!!!!

Re: Tell us what it's like

Took delivery of a 997s ten days ago in Kansas City, MO, and proceeded to drive it back to Jackson Hole, WY via Fayetteville, AR, Denver, CO and Steamboat Springs, CO, for a total trip of about 1,750 miles.

I previously owned a 1999 996 C2 (296 hp), and this car is much, much faster and quicker, with noticebly better braking and less body role. The ride is a little harsher (I had 17" wheels on my 996), but only in sport mode is it a little too harsh for every day driving. Having said that, for spirited driving on twisty roads, in sport mode with the sport chrono option the car is even quicker still.

The interior seems to be of higher quality, and (except for the shift knob) I like the way it looks more than the 996. As an audiophile for over 20 years it pains to me say that the optional Bose stereo sounds pretty darn good, and is infinitely better than the optional upgarded stereo in the 996. I love the adaptive sport seats, and at 6'1" and 190 lbs., did not find them too constricting, even on the 800 mile leg of my trip from Fayetteville to Denver.

Overall, this car is vastly superior to my 996 and I am one happy camper.

Its fantastic! Razor sharp controls. The throttle is literally the crispest I've ever driven. Steering is very presice. Ride is on the stiff side probably due to being 19s. I love the interior, just drove an 05 Turbo S and as fast as that monster is, I think I couldn't live with the interior, especially the seat, it was way to high even at the lowest setting, felt like I was on the car instead of in. Compared to the 993, its not even close performance wise, makes it feel like a Honda Accord. Right now, I think its Porsche's best 911 yet. Of course that's until the rest of the 997 family comes out. I'm sure the 997TT will be even better.

Just reached 1,000 miles on my 997s. Previously owned an '01 M3. NO COMPARISON!! Torque band is completely different, steering is precise, brakes are incredible, sports package is PHENOMENAL. It's simply the most fun you're going to have with your clothes on.It's like owning your own roller coaster

you can find many many review in many many threads from many many users

My 997S replaced my '96 993 C2. I love the car, but it is so far removed from the more spartan and "classic" feel of my 993, that I don't really find a good way of comparing the two. I love my new 997, but I wish I had kept my 993 for posterity as well, as it really did mark the end of an "era" with regard to how a Porsche felt to drive, and the tradition of the interior. But, when you remove the nostalgia and romance, the 997 is superior in every facet, and is simply amazing how capable it is, yet civilized and user-friendly. It's the perfect package for daily driving. I'd say, "it'll be here before you know it", but that's B.S.. You will go absolutely crazy waiting, sad but true..

Yeah you are right Dilinger, but it would be great to see as many reviews as possible in a single thread. That way anyone new to the 997 can get a feel for the car quickly and get a broad range of views. Nothing beats the views of someone who has been behind the wheel of his own 997 and has an intimate relationship with his/her car over time. Motoring Magazine reviewers are not always the best people to rate a car even though they think they are.

Almost two months old and 5,600 mi...the 997 is a giant evolutionary step forward from my '02 996 in all regards..it rides and handles better, the ergonomics are better....it's just all better.
    Adaptive Sport Seats are wonderful, comfortable and supportive and allow for separate seat cushion adjustment which is a + for long stints of seat time, on my roadtrips I will do 8-10hrs
    The Sport Shifter is a +
    The Nav is great as is the GSM phone as well
    I have also had the opportunity to drive both 997 versions at speed at Barber Motorsports Park attending PDE, and they both are remarkably improved over the 996. The "S" I drove had PCCB and they are amazing and I wish that I had them if, it were not for the cost, their performance and pedal feel are phenomenal.
    Interesting note about PASM is that it will automaticly adapt itself to "sport mode" when it senses that you are driving in a high performance manner, so if you forgt to push the sport button, the car will adapt!

Quote:
    nicholas j said:
    Just reached 1,000 miles on my 997s. Previously owned an '01 M3. NO COMPARISON!! Torque band is completely different, steering is precise, brakes are incredible, sports package is PHENOMENAL. It's simply the most fun you're going to have with your clothes on.It's like owning your own roller coaster

Try driving naked

A few otehr things I should have mentioned. The thicker steering wheel and the short shifter are both great options. The feel of the wheel just seems right for this type of car, and the shifter is more efficient. Also, the difference in the power band vs. the 996, with more grunt between 3,500 and 5,000 rpm is really noticeable. Finally, the engine note is much more agessive (I do not have PSE), and appropriate to the car. Whereas the 996 had a sort of turbine-like sound inside, the 997s growls, screams and then howls as you climb the tach.

Waiting definately sucks, but its all worth it as you drive off the dealer's lot.

Quote:
    Trundle997S said:
    Interesting note about PASM is that it will automaticly adapt itself to "sport mode" when it senses that you are driving in a high performance manner, so if you forgt to push the sport button, the car will adapt!

Actually, you are wrong here, the sport mode will never be activated on its own.

The truth is:

Between the 2 modes "normal" and "small" and within them there are some variating programs, that adpat the suspension according to your type of driving and to the quality of the road surface.

Around 7 automatically set modes withn "normal " mode and another 7(not so sure) for the "sport"

So yes the car will adapt to your driving but will never exceed the "normal" or "sport" limits,accordingly.

PASM

Here is how the manual describes the function of PASM:

PASM makes two running-gear setups available to
    the driver: "Normal" and "Sport".
    The selection is made via a button on the center
    console.
    In Normal mode the running gear is in a sporty and
    comfortable setup.
    Sport mode offers a markedly sporty shock
    absorber tuning (e.g. for driving on the race
    circuit).
    The variable suspension system selects the appropriate
    damping level for each wheel according to
    the situation and conditions of driving.
    Example:
    If the vehicle is driven in a markedly sporty manner
    in Normal mode, PASM automatically adapts the
    shock-absorber behavior to the driving situation in
    this case as well.

Phil

Re: PASM

Quote:
    PS CA said:
    If the vehicle is driven in a markedly sporty manner
    in Normal mode, PASM automatically adapts the
    shock-absorber behavior to the driving situation in
    this case as well.

Phil

Thats right Phil, there are more things though ,not explained in the manual. One can find them though written analytically in the "internal" company Porsche Carrera 997 technical report brochure,that is distibuted to distibutors and dealer, Unfortunately, this "book" is not for public and its only for company use.Plus most dealers dont even show it to customers. In this brochure one can see also a nice graphic of the variations,altertations,and limits of the PASM and the -20mm sports suspension also.

Is the book you are referring to the "Porsche Technical Introduction?" If so, it is available: PNA 489 421 05. I was hoping for something a little more technical so if the one you mention is different, I would love to find it. Is there a part number for it?

Thanks!

TVN

I've owned my black 05 Carrera S for almost 3 months and 300O miles....man what a ride. I'm a first time owner and it's the highlight of my day going to/from work. The car is truely a joy to drive. It responds to every request with more than you would expect...acceleration, braking, cornering etc. The adapative sport seats are great, PCCB...braking like I've never experienced before, plus they look great. I planned to order, but couldn't wait when one showed up on the lot with 2K miles.

After a 965; 993 targa and 996 3.4 cab,the new 997S cabriolet is the fastest way to loose your driverslicense...
    Need i say more...
    It's just making you addicted to too fast driving, while it seduces you constantely to floor the throthle...
    Sorry for my bad spelling....

Proud owner of a Black/Black 997s for around 2 months and 1700 miles, it is my second Porsche (Guards Red 964). And while it is a completely different car; the experience is just as gratifying as it was 10 years ago.

I am one of "those" that have not seen over 4200 rpm's. And even with the self-induced red line the car is an amazing experience every time I get behind the wheel. Compared to my old 911 (and the new Corvette for that matter), the car feels Razor sharp (sorry Texas911 but it was a perfect descriptions so I had to plagiarize), and solid as a rock. I am thrilled with every aspect of the car (Ok, not a huge fan of PCM, but I'm hoping it will grow on me). While we are on acronyms, I am impressed with PASM, the difference between Sport and Normal is night and day. I would have no problem utilizing this car as a daily driver (unfortunatly if my clients saw it, they would demand that I drop my rates).

I have had absolutely no mechanical problems (knock on wood), and if you could be witness to the stupid ass grin on my face every time I walk up to/away from it, you would be even more depressed about your wait.

Tim (even more stupid than these -> )
    Porsche/My drug of choice

Also........ Not sure where you live; but in Michigan we have been having some unseasonable cold weather and the heater is blowing hot air in less than a mile. I know some of you probably think this is the dumbest post you have ever seen (especially the ones that live in Southern CA), but you really, really appreciate this in 20 degree weather.

tim

I've had my 997S for 6 weeks now and done 4500km. This is my first Porsche, and my first sports car, previous daily driver being an well optioned E60 530d BMW which we still have, and prior to that an E430, 330i and 540i. In case there are others contemplating their first Porsche as a daily driver in the city, I'll write about that aspect. Ditto what everyone else has said about the performance, handling etc.

Having driven with automatic gearboxes for the last 10yrs, I was concerned about my adapting to a manual 997S especially in heavy traffic. ( I wouldn't consider getting a tiptronic.) The test drives were fun of course but living with a manual in traffic jams during rush hour has proved easier than I thought. The engine has so much torque and the car is relatively light so it is very flexible and smooth in slow traffic. Clutch and gearshift are light and smooth. It really is easy to drive in stop-start traffic and I haven't stalled the engine even once!!

I'd forgotten how easy it is to park and maneuver a car with a shorter wheelbase in tight spaces. But then it can be a little difficult getting into and out of the car especially if the door can only be opened partially. Not a problem, but something you'd notice if you're used to larger cars (I'm only 5ft 7 with size 8 feet). Our kids, 9 and 7yrs can get in and out of the back easily and they enjoy long trips, and don't notice the noise, vibration or harsh ride that I thought they may. We've been on a few weekend trips with the kids, and there's enough room in the trunk for our luggage if we compromise a bit. Let's say that we'd prefer to compromise than take the 530d (with dynamic drive and sports suspension).

I had a 996 C4S for a weekend sometime last year, and didn't buy it because of the dull interior and lack of "luxury items" I've becomed used to in the BMWs. I know Porsches are all about the driving experience, I just couldn't do it. The 997 resolves most of those issues and the cabin really feels like a nice place to be in, especially when stuck in a traffic jam. The Bose sounds good in this situation, but otherwise doesn't get used often. I find myself driving with the window and sunroof open, even in the city, and listen to the engine. The power is great for zipping around traffic, but care is needed so you don't appear too aggressive or antisocial.

I had some reservations about the practicality of using a 997 everyday, but find it very easy to live with. I want to drive it into town, even though I know I'll be stuck in a jam and unable to use it to it's potential.... It's that addictive engine sound, and throttle response regardless of gear that does it. Well worth the wait.

Quote:
    Zürich said:
    Quote:
    nicholas j said:

Try driving naked

Been there. Done that. Lesson learned: Use a towel between the seat and your butt.

I'm with Leong, I too came from automatics, I have a 20 minute crawl in my daily drive most days, but I have no regrets about choosing manual, I am considering a change soon and since it was to be only for a few months until a C4S came I thought I would try tiptronic, but I don't think I can bring myself to do it. Leong must be a better driver than me because I do stall it from time to time, I still hear the rumble and assume I have a decent amount of revs going.

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/3/24 7:04 PM
    watt
    603114 1768
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    383962 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    252590 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 2/22/24 5:12 PM
    GT-Boy
    214908 291
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    46320 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 2/19/24 9:07 AM
    RCA
    2351 25
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

844273 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    734716 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM