Crown

Board: Porsche - Cayman Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread


    Cayman S - Track Test

    Finally, a trustable Cayman S track test done by Sport Auto:

    Hockenheim Kleiner Ring (2.6 km): 1 min 15,5 sec. .
    Pretty impressive performance for such a car.

    For comparison:
    997 Carrera S: 1 min 14,3 sec.
    997 Carrera S Powerkit/20 mm chassis: 1 min 13,7 sec.

    Since Hockenheim Kleiner Kurs favors light and handling optimized cars, the track time difference on the Nordschleife would be much bigger.

    Oh, btw: the Cayman S was only 64 kg lighter than the tested 997 Carrera S Powerkit.

    Case closed.

    Re: Cayman S - Track Test

    What a Xmas Grinch!

    You mean to deny that because mid engine race cars are superior, that the Cayman with its mid engine layout can not defeat the rear engined 997 that benefits from ALL of
    Porsche Motorsports Carrera Cup R and D?

    I am amazed at that!

    Ho, Ho, Ho !

    Re: Cayman S - Track Test

    Quote:
    RC said:
    Finally, a trustable Cayman S track test done by Sport Auto:

    Hockenheim Kleiner Ring (2.6 km): 1 min 15,5 sec. .
    Pretty impressive performance for such a car.

    For comparison:
    997 Carrera S: 1 min 14,3 sec.
    997 Carrera S Powerkit/20 mm chassis: 1 min 13,7 sec.

    Since Hockenheim Kleiner Kurs favors light and handling optimized cars, the track time difference on the Nordschleife would be much bigger.

    Oh, btw: the Cayman S was only 64 kg lighter than the tested 997 Carrera S Powerkit.

    Case closed.




    Didn't realise the Cayman was on trial, but any away.

    Trusted because it shows the 997 S was faster?
    Articles that show the Cayman faster are not to be trusted I assume?
    I'm not surprised the 911 S is faster really, it's a lot more car for a lot more money.

    What spec was the Cayman, PASM, 18 or 19" wheels?
    What spec was the 997S, PASM, Wheels?

    Pretty good time never the less and as expected.Do you have a link to the article

    PS, Jim and RC kissing in a tree. K.I.S.S.I.N.G (altoghter now)

    D

    Re: Cayman S - Track Test

    What's so trustworthy about this test? Was the test done with all 3 cars at the same time/day/temp?

    Why is the comparison against a 997S and not a base model 997?

    And doesn't the Cayman time beat the base 997 time?

    And lastly, would the Cayman be faster vs. the 997 if they had the same motors? If the answer is yes, then why isn't everyone pushing Porsche to do it? Do we need to artificially keep the 911 the "big dog" just because it is "iconic"? Seems kinda silly to me. If the 911 is that iconic then it will stand on its own.

    Re: Cayman S - Track Test

    According to www.track-challenge.com, a Ferrari F360 does the course in 1.15.1 (only 4/10s faster). I believe they use the same SportAuto source times...

    Re: Cayman S - Track Test

    Hmm what about a 997? I would say it will be faster than a Cayman S.

    Re: Cayman S - Track Test

    Quote:
    RC said:
    Finally, a trustable Cayman S track test done by Sport Auto:

    Hockenheim Kleiner Ring (2.6 km): 1 min 15,5 sec. .
    Pretty impressive performance for such a car.



    I assume the test Cayman S was equiped with 19" wheels, Ceramic Composite Brakes-(PCCB), Porsche Active Suspension Management-(PASM), and Sport Chrono Package.

    RC, can you confirm this?

    Re: Cayman S - Track Test

    Both 997S were with -20mm/LSD and PCCB, one car has X51(381hp) power kit(faster one).
    Cayman S was with 19", PCCB and Sport Chrono.
    Normal 997 with -20mm/LSD and PCCB would also be faster around Hockenheim and Nordschleife then Cayman S.
    Guys, that is tha fact!
    Also, all North American 997/997S cars can not have -20mm/LSD(sport setup) and this is the reason for not so excellent track times in USA.
    BTW, I have Boxster S(987) with 19",PASM and Sport Chrono Plus and I am happy with it but, I have ordered 997S(X51,PCCB,-20mm/LSD etc.).

    Re: Cayman S - Track Test

    Quote:
    RC said:
    Finally, a trustable Cayman S track test done by Sport Auto:

    Hockenheim Kleiner Ring (2.6 km): 1 min 15,5 sec. .
    Pretty impressive performance for such a car.

    For comparison:
    997 Carrera S: 1 min 14,3 sec.
    997 Carrera S Powerkit/20 mm chassis: 1 min 13,7 sec.




    1:15.5 --- 123.974 km/h - Porsche Cayman S, 295 PS/ 1410 kg (sport auto 01/06)
    1:15.7 --- 123.646 km/h - Porsche Boxster S (2005), 280hp/1406kg (sport auto 12/04)
    1:16.9 --- 121.717 km/h - Porsche 997 Carrera, 325 PS/1476kg (sport auto 01/05)

    Re: Cayman S - Track Test

    In order to avoid any further speculations about each cars equipment (Suspension, Tyres etc.) here is the complete list from Sport Auto (note: no information about drivers plus all the tests not conducted at the same time of the year - different wheather conditions)

    1:13.7 --- 997 S / power-kit / -20mm / PCCB / 19" Pilot S.
    1:14.3 --- 997 S / -20mm / brakes ? / 19" Pilot S.
    1:15.5 --- Cayman S / PASM Sport-Mode / 18" Pilot S.
    1:15.6 --- 997 S / PASM Sport-Mode / 19" Pilot S.
    1:15.7 --- Boxster S / PASM Sport-Mode / Tyres ?

    No reference in the article for 997 (base-model) but I recall a laptime 1/10 of a second slower than Boxster S.

    997 S Powerkit was tested at airtemp. 10* C, tracktemp. 14* C, Cayman S at airtemp. 8* C, tracktemp. 10* C.

    Sport Auto has been most impressed by the performance advantage the -20mm/LSD set-up provides compared to the PASM-eqipped 997 S (1.3 sec. advantage). Powerkit + PCCB makes another 0.6 sec. advantage.

    Sport-Auto's conclusion: if money no object and if you go only "with your heart and your ears" (PSE) take the top model of the current 997-line (997 S + Powerkit + 20mm/LSD + PCCB), if you take money into the balance, go for Cayman S.

    List prices (German prices incl. VAT) - base price vs. testcar-price (incl. options- in brackets):

    997 S powerkit/-20 mm / PCCB / 19" 99,013 Eur (121,558)
    Cayman S / PASM / 18" 58,529 Eur (72,635)

    Further data about the two tested cars:
    Weight (incl. fuel) 997 S powerkit / Cayman S
    1474 kg / 1410 kg

    Weight distribution 997 S powerkit / Cayman S
    38.7%/61.3% - 46.7%/53.3%

    Slalom (18 m) both cars at exactly same max. speed (69.6 km/h)

    Further comments (maybe interesting for the "Boxster with a roof discussion" ): no big performance difference between Boxster S and Cayman S (as shown by the laptimes at HHR), the additional HP and torque of the Cayman make some difference at high speed Autobahn rides only.

    Let me add one personal comment as someone who is not interested in the Cayman S vs. 997 war (I'll stick to my 987 S order ) : all the PASM-equipped cars (may it be 997, Cayman S or Boxster S) are very close IMO in terms of laptimes at a rather short and technical track like HHR (Kleiner Kurs), which shows that all the cars are really great in the handling department - so there is really no reason to flame each other

    Also it's not a miracle that the better engined Porsches always will have an advantage at a long "natural" track like Nordschleife with some high speed stretches.

    I have to say that I am very much impressed about the advantages of the -20mm/LSD set-up (compared to the PASM) and would like to see what this set-up could do in the Boxster S or Cayman S (unfortunately not available )

    Always interesting to see the tests in Sport-Auto (at least more reliable than other german carmags IMO) but at the end of the day the personal decision always should be based on your individual feel-good factor regarding perceived drive-feel and wallet-thickness (the latter only applying to poor guys like myself ) rather than HHR-laptimes.

    Cheers to all of you Porsche-nuts

    Re: Cayman S - Track Test

    Quote:
    Porsche-Jeck said:
    Let me add one personal comment as someone who is not interested in the Cayman S vs. 997 war (I'll stick to my 987 S order ) : all the PASM-equipped cars (may it be 997, Cayman S or Boxster S) are very close IMO in terms of laptimes at a rather short and technical track like HHR (Kleiner Kurs), which shows that all the cars are really great in the handling department - so there is really no reason to flame each other

    Also it's not a miracle that the better engined Porsches always will have an advantage at a long "natural" track like Nordschleife with some high speed stretches.

    I have to say that I am very much impressed about the advantages of the -20mm/LSD set-up (compared to the PASM) and would like to see what this set-up could do in the Boxster S or Cayman S (unfortunately not available )

    Always interesting to see the tests in Sport-Auto (at least more reliable than other german carmags IMO) but at the end of the day the personal decision always should be based on your individual feel-good factor regarding perceived drive-feel and wallet-thickness (the latter only applying to poor guys like myself ) rather than HHR-laptimes.

    Cheers to all of you Porsche-nuts



    Kudo's to you for providing as much relevant data as possible (you clearly had to spend quite a bit of time collecting them), providing them in an objective format, and clearly stating what your opinions/biases/preferences are and why.

    I understand that everyone will have their preferences (whether they be wine, women, song, or Porsche's). What I don't understand is why some will persist in arguing their preference is "best" for me. I suppose I will simply skip posts from them. But your posts, sir, I will gladly read and respond to. Cheers to you and enjoy your Boxster.

    Re: Cayman S - Track Test

    Quote:
    Porsche-Jeck said:
    In order to avoid any further speculations about each cars equipment (Suspension, Tyres etc.) here is the complete list from Sport Auto (note: no information about drivers plus all the tests not conducted at the same time of the year - different wheather conditions)

    1:15.5 --- Cayman S / PASM Sport-Mode / 18" Pilot S.



    Assuming the equipment above is correct.

    A Cayman S with:

    PASM Sports Mode/ 19" Pilot S./ PCCB/ Sport Chrono

    would be quicker driven by same driver on same day.

    Re: Cayman S - Track Test

    hehe, will this ever stop? does it matter which one is 1 second faster here or there with these or those options? i just don't get it anymore...

    Re: Cayman S - Track Test

    Quote:
    Grant said:
    According to www.track-challenge.com, a Ferrari F360 does the course in 1.15.1 (only 4/10s faster). I believe they use the same SportAuto source times...



    I find it interesting that the Cayman is so close to the Ferrari 360 on this course. With a few option changes, it may be closer.

    Re: Cayman S - Track Test

    Quote:
    bluelines said:
    hehe, will this ever stop? does it matter which one is 1 second faster here or there with these or those options? i just don't get it anymore...



    Well, we do need to give people something for their money, right?! Oops...forgot...they don't pay any money.

    Re: Cayman S - Track Test

    Quote:
    RC said:
    Quote:
    bluelines said:
    hehe, will this ever stop? does it matter which one is 1 second faster here or there with these or those options? i just don't get it anymore...



    Well, we do need to give people something for their money, right?! Oops...forgot...they don't pay any money.



    fair enuf

    Re: Cayman S - Track Test

    Quote:
    HHG said:
    Quote:
    Grant said:
    According to www.track-challenge.com, a Ferrari F360 does the course in 1.15.1 (only 4/10s faster). I believe they use the same SportAuto source times...



    I find it interesting that the Cayman is so close to the Ferrari 360 on this course. With a few option changes, it may be closer.


    Yeah, like LSD and coilovers I wish a -20mm sport suspension with LSD was an option on the Cayman like the Euro 997S...

    Re: Cayman S - Track Test

    This constant Cayman v 911 debate is getting silly.
    I paid Pounds52,000 for my Cayman S in the UK and if I had bought a basic 997 with exactly the same options it would have cost me Pounds65,000. That is an extra 25% and a 997S would be significantly more again. From my personal perspective that extra 25% doesn't buy me enough (and I already have a 997) but I can understand why some people do spend more (after all, I did).
    Why don't we just accept that they are similar, but different, without having to prove or justify that one is "better" or "faster" than the other.
    The miniscule differences in times around one circuit or another have nothing to do with what 99% of us do 99% of the time and that is drive on roads with lots of other road users.
    This morning I walked along the Kings Road, Chelsea in London and it was full of Ferraris and Porsches. I didn't see one of them exceeding 25 - 30 mph.

    Re: Cayman S - Track Test

    Quote:
    KenH said:
    This constant Cayman v 911 debate is getting silly.



    Nearly as silly as the Cayman v. Boxster debate.

    Re: Cayman S - Track Test

    Quote:
    Porsche-Jeck said:


    Always interesting to see the tests in Sport-Auto (at least more reliable than other german carmags IMO) but at the end of the day the personal decision always should be based on your individual feel-good factor regarding perceived drive-feel and wallet-thickness (the latter only applying to poor guys like myself ) rather than HHR-laptimes.

    Cheers to all of you Porsche-nuts




    AMEN to that Brotha !!

    Re: Cayman S - Track Test

    Quote:
    dreamcar said:
    Quote:
    KenH said:
    This constant Cayman v 911 debate is getting silly.



    Nearly as silly as the Cayman v. Boxster debate.



    Please find something else for us to argue about!

    I see the problem this way: There are a number of us who ordered Caymans and have not received our cars. Mine is to built in January sometime. I still haven't received the exact build date. So, while we are waiting on our cars, and not doing something productive, like driving around, all we can think to do is terrorize (bore) 911 and Boxster S owners with all kinds of they don't care about.

    Help us please.

    Re: Cayman S - Track Test

    Quote:
    HHG said:So, while we are waiting on our cars, and not doing something productive, like driving around, all we can think to do is terrorize (bore) 911 and Boxster S owners with all kinds of they don't care about.

    Help us please.


    I believe Nick is up for a debate, if you guys are looking for something to fill the free time while you're anxiously waiting for your cars

    Re: Cayman S - Track Test

    Quote:
    Porsche-Jeck said:
    ...Let me add one personal comment as someone who is not interested in the Cayman S vs. 997 war (I'll stick to my 987 S order ) : all the PASM-equipped cars (may it be 997, Cayman S or Boxster S) are very close IMO in terms of laptimes at a rather short and technical track like HHR (Kleiner Kurs), which shows that all the cars are really great in the handling department - so there is really no reason to flame each other...



    Totally agree with you!

    Still there is one more thing I'd like to add: the Cayman's Hockenheim laptime is about the same as the 997 S's with PASM suspension, despite a difference in hp and reartire size! As a conclusion I would say that it just displays how great both cars are - if you compare them to any rivals!

    Re: Cayman S - Track Test

    See you at the redlight

    Re: Cayman S - Track Test

    Quote:
    HHG said:Please find something else for us to argue about!



    Running-in procedure?
    Aerokits?


    Incidentally, has anyone discovered how to retract/remove the fabric flap thing that seperates the two halves of the rear trunk on the Cayman. I had a fiddle with a showroom model on Saturday and nearly broke it. It'll be difficult for Dreamcar to get his fishing rods in with it in place!

    Re: Cayman S - Track Test

    Quote:
    wtsnet said:
    It'll be difficult for Dreamcar to get his fishing rods in with it in place!



    I am having so much success with fishing that I am selling my rods and buying a trawler.

    Re: Cayman S - Track Test

    Quote:
    wtsnet said:
    Quote:
    HHG said:Please find something else for us to argue about!



    Running-in procedure?
    Aerokits?





    Thanks for trying. I'm argued out. Going to give it a rest for a while.

    Re: Cayman S - Track Test

    I'm all for comparing the Cayman and the 911 - it's only natural to do so.

    We compare the 911 (in various forms) to the F360, F430, Gallardo, Vanquish, etc. They are all similar and yet very different, and it's fun to compare and we all have our opinions about which one is "better".

    Why not do the same with the 911 and the Cayman S? Coming from the same manufacturer, it makes even more sense to compare them, since price, reliablility, ease of service, daily driveability can all be more closely compared.

    I know RC and others have thought it was getting out of hand, but really, only one person became too emotional about it. There are plenty of threads where one person gets too emotional.

    I think comparing the Cayman an the 911 makes a huge amount of sense and I for one would like to hear more adult opinions on the matter . . . good or bad either way. That's what this forum is about isn't it?

    Re: Cayman S - Track Test

    Quote:
    brunner said:
    Quote:
    HHG said:So, while we are waiting on our cars, and not doing something productive, like driving around, all we can think to do is terrorize (bore) 911 and Boxster S owners with all kinds of they don't care about.

    Help us please.


    I believe Nick is up for a debate, if you guys are looking for something to fill the free time while you're anxiously waiting for your cars




    Re: Cayman S - Track Test

    Quote:
    dreamcar said:
    Quote:
    wtsnet said:
    It'll be difficult for Dreamcar to get his fishing rods in with it in place!



    I am having so much success with fishing that I am selling my rods and buying a trawler.



    Well, the bad news is that the EU is reducing your cod-catching limit.

     
    Edit

    Forum

    Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 5/15/24 8:44 AM
    art.italy
    814984 1808
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    453541 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    273800 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    92328 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    9907 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot
     
     
     
     
     
    892967 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    853971 3868
    Porsche GT4RS 4/21/24 11:50 AM
    mcdelaug
    407395 1454
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM
    nberry
    403177 1526
    Others Tesla 2 the new thread 12/13/23 2:48 PM
    CGX car nut
    391631 2401
    Porsche Donor vehicle for Singer Vehicle Design 7/3/23 12:30 PM
    Porker
    373528 797
    Porsche Red Nipples 991.2 GT3 Touring on tour 5/12/24 6:23 PM
    blueflame
    295789 669
    Porsche Collected my 997 GTS today 10/19/23 7:06 PM
    CGX car nut
     
     
     
     
     
    271062 812
    Lambo Huracán EVO STO 7/30/23 6:59 PM
    mcdelaug
    245747 346
    Lotus Lotus Emira 6/25/23 2:53 PM
    Enmanuel
    239946 101
    Others Corvette C8 10/16/23 3:24 PM
    Enmanuel
    224198 488
    Others Gordon Murray - T.50 11/22/23 10:27 AM
    mcdelaug
    174743 387
    BMW M 2024 BMW M3 CS Official Now 12/29/23 9:04 AM
    RCA
    123266 303
    Motor Sp. 2023 Formula One 12/19/23 5:38 AM
    WhoopsyM
    115385 685
    Porsche 2022 992 Safari Model 3/7/24 4:22 PM
    WhoopsyM
    87310 239
    AMG Mercedes-Benz W124 500E aka Porsche typ 2758 2/23/24 10:03 PM
    blueflame
    77602 297
    Porsche 992 GT3 RS 3/3/24 7:22 PM
    WhoopsyM
    56741 314
    Motor Sp. Porsche 963 5/18/24 9:44 PM
    Wonderbar
    28529 249
    Ferrari Ferrari 296 GTB (830PS, Hybrid V6) 1/21/24 4:29 PM
    GT-Boy
    23025 103
    BMW M 2022 BMW M5 CS 4/8/24 1:43 PM
    Ferdie
    21969 140
    AMG G63 sold out 9/15/23 7:38 PM
    Nico997
    18205 120
    AMG [2022] Mercedes-AMG SL 4/23/24 1:24 PM
    RCA
    16371 225
    Porsche Porsche Mission X Hypercar 12/3/23 8:52 AM
    996FourEss
    12142 63
    Porsche 911 S/T 10/10/23 8:53 AM
    RCA
    11274 55
    Others Tesla thread N°3 5/1/24 11:09 PM
    CGX car nut
    9477 93
    112 items found, displaying 1 to 30.