Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

What is the Porsche design sun visor?

Someone said that he ordered the Porsche Design sun visor, what exactly is that?

Re: What is the Porsche design sun visor?

I hope it's better than the useless item they fit in the car.

WHY ITS USELESS?

I find the sun visors too shallow. Could do with being another 50mm deeper. I was out yesterday evening driving into the sun. Maybe you get better ones in the 997 than the Boxster?

It'd be nice if it could be swung out to cover glare from the side too... but perhaps that just isn't feasible, I don't know.

I haven't used a sun visor for anything other than hanging a radar detector on for at least a decade. A good pair of sunglasses is all I need.

Quote:
    wtsnet said:
    It'd be nice if it could be swung out to cover glare from the side too... but perhaps that just isn't feasible, I don't know.

it can swang out to cover the side window just like other cars

Quote:
    Dilinger said:
    Someone said that he ordered the Porsche Design sun visor, what exactly is that?

Maybe he meant the optional LEATHER sunvisors
    The plastic sunvisors on my 996 always bothered me. They look cheap. On my 997 S cab I ordered the leather visors. In a cab you really see the visors with the top down so I thought it would be a nice touch. Also sunvisors are directly in front of your face. The leather should smell great.
    Guess most people don't care about leather sunvisors because I hardly see it optioned but I am psyched to see what they look like in my cab.

Quote:
    Stradale said:
    Quote:
    Dilinger said:

Maybe he meant the optional LEATHER sunvisors
    The plastic sunvisors on my 996 always bothered me. They look cheap. On my 997 S cab I ordered the leather visors. In a cab you really see the visors with the top down so I thought it would be a nice touch. Also sunvisors are directly in front of your face. The leather should smell great.
    Guess most people don't care about leather sunvisors because I hardly see it optioned but I am psyched to see what they look like in my cab.

I FULLY AGREE with your comment Stradale !!
    I ordered them too on my Boxster S.
    I think they will look GREAT !!

Quote:
    Stradale said:
    The plastic sunvisors on my 996 always bothered me. They look cheap. On my 997 S cab I ordered the leather visors. In a cab you really see the visors with the top down so I thought it would be a nice touch.

I agree. The original visors look like they got them from the Volkswagen parts bin. Visors are not that visible on a coupe, but they really stand out on a cab. I did not order them on my cab, but today I sent emails to two dealers parts departments for a price and availability. It will be interesting to see if they cost more as a part or as an option on the car. Some parts are cheaper to buy later, such as the chrome exhaust tips that are $480 from the factory, but you can buy them as a part for $389.

Phil

That's good to know.
    I only plan on having my 997S cab until the 997TT Cab comes out so I'm trying like hell not to dump money into her but it's freakin hard Phil. I hear that voice going on in my head that kinda sounds the way Steve Martin did in the movie "The Jerk"..... All I need is to put the 3M Body armour on the car, that's all I need...... And a radar detector...That's all I need. The 3m body armor and this radar...............And I need these Techart racing pedals and that's all I need....The body armour, the radar and the racing pedals.....And the chrome exhaust tips......

LOFL !!

Quote:
    dreamcar said:
    I find the sun visors too shallow. Could do with being another 50mm deeper. I was out yesterday evening driving into the sun. Maybe you get better ones in the 997 than the Boxster?

From what I remember of the Boxster visors, they are much smaller (vertically) than those on the 911.

And then again, the sun is much lower for more of the day in the UK than in most parts of the world!

PS: Come to think of it, don't you have to count yourself to get to see the sun there.
    Only kidding, we are going through the usual April phase of cold, heavy rain here, popularly described as "English weather", even though we get it just about every year.

Quote:
    Stradale said:
    ....The body armour, the radar and the racing pedals.....And the chrome exhaust tips......

LOL. Matt tried to get me for these today.... told me you ordered them and could get a deal on two sets

BTW... 3m came out great... thanks again.

Leather visor cost

I just got a price from Sunset Imports for leather visors. They are $376 each for a total of $752. The visors are only $560 if you ordered them with your car. So you save $192 by making them part of your order. This is one item that definitely is not cheaper when you add it later.

Phil

Quote:
    2k5c2scab said:
    Quote:
    Stradale said:
    ....The body armour, the radar and the racing pedals.....And the chrome exhaust tips......

LOL. Matt tried to get me for these today.... told me you ordered them and could get a deal on two sets

BTW... 3m came out great... thanks again.

Excellent. Glad you're happy with the 3M.

The pedals add so much to the look of the interior I can't help myself. Especially in a convertible where you can see them easier from the outside. The last car I put them on was a Viper and they looked great.
    The other thing I'm going to do is replace the gold hood emblum with a silver one. Since I went with the black and silver porsche crests wheel caps and the car is Silver/Black the black and silver crest on the hood should look cool.

Re: Leather visor cost

Quote:
    PS CA said:
    I just got a price from Sunset Imports for leather visors. They are $376 each for a total of $752. The visors are only $560 if you ordered them with your car. So you save $192 by making them part of your order. This is one item that definitely is not cheaper when you add it later.

Phil

Essh. And I thought the factory ones were expensive. Are you going to do it ?

Quote:
    Stradale said:

I'll wait until I get the car and at the point I will determine whether it is worth it or not. It will depend on how much the black vinyl ones bug me.

Phil

Quote:
    PS CA said:
    Quote:
    Stradale said:

I'll wait until I get the car and at the point I will determine whether it is worth it or not. It will depend on how much the black vinyl ones bug me.

Phil

When my car is delivered in a couple of weeks I'll take a pic of the leather ones..

what brand are the racing pedals? not Porsche i guess

think he was talking about this one....

Quote:
    fritz said:
    ...And then again, the sun is much lower for more of the day in the UK than in most parts of the world! ...

So true, everytime I visit London, that is the first thing I have noticed is how low the sun is even at 12 noon. It gives me the impression that the sun is about to set.

uops sorry not my taste

Quote:
    Stradale said:
    On my 997 S cab I ordered the leather visors.

I finally got the price for the leather visors from the parts department. With shipping (no tax) they will cost $762.00 for the pair, a fair bit more than buying them on the car. However today I just got a price for the chrome exhaust tips. I can buy them for $352.00 including shipping (no tax) verses $480.00 + tax if you buy them on the car. Plus I can buy the colored wheel center caps for $160 all inclusive verses $185.00 + tax if you buy them with the car. Some things don't make sense, I end up with two sets of exhaust tips and center caps and save money to boot.

Phil

dont tke the leather sun visors, wasted money in my opinion.
    Go and retrofit colored seat belts, more exclusive;)

Quote:
    Dilinger said:
    dont tke the leather sun visors, wasted money in my opinion.
    Go and retrofit colored seat belts, more exclusive;)

I am probably not going to buy them, but the visors are very obvious in a cabriolet. I would not consider them in a coupe, but when the top is down they are very obvious....and very vinyl looking.

Phil

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/4/24 2:37 PM
    Enmanuel
    604254 1769
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    384250 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    252630 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 2/22/24 5:12 PM
    GT-Boy
    215146 291
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    46564 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/4/24 9:03 AM
    Der-Schwabe
    2438 26
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

844446 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    735207 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM