Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 - Turbo Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Is this the laziest 997.2TT review ever?

Such a disappointing waste of an opportunity to write a review of the new 997.2TT. But, since we all know how much Jeremy Clarkson loathes Porsche, it should come as no surprise:

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/driving/jeremy_clarkson/article6989747.ece

JC spends the entire article talking about other subjects and what little he could be bothered to write about the 997.2TT could be written without ever driving it or knowing anything specific about it:

"... You need to be paying constant attention to stay abreast of the 911 range, which, in essence, is one car offered in countless subtly different ways. Do you know the difference between a 997 and a 996? Or a Carrera and a Carrera S? Or a GT2 and a GT3? I do but I can’t be bothered to explain everything here.

And anyway there’s no need because the Turbo buried in my drive is a convertible, and that, like all drop-top Porsche 911s, is unwise.

I can explain this. Each 911 is slightly different. Each is tailored to suit a slightly different driving style and locale. But fundamentally each is designed to be better to drive than anything else for the money.

Now. If you take the roof off a car designed to be a coupé, some of the structural rigidity will be lost. To compensate, extra strengthening is required, which makes the whole car heavier. This affects how the car feels, and since the whole point of a 911 is the “feel”, the point is lost. This is a fact.

A fact that isn’t true any more. A Ferrari F430 Spider is just as fast and feelsome round a track as the berlinetta. And so it goes with the 911. Supercar engineers can now make a heavier, less rigid convertible just as much fun to drive as its coupé sister.

But no one knows this. So if you drive a 911 Turbo convertible, everyone will laugh at you and say that you are a poseur and that you are having a midlife crisis. The time will therefore come when you pray for snowfalls to bury the embarrassment that you have brought upon yourself.

Weeks ago, when the Turbo arrived, I began to enjoy it. I thought it might be the first arse-engined Hitler-mobile that I might consider buying. But then, after a mile, the snow came, and despite the four-wheel-drive system, that was that.

I suspect there’s a very good car out there. But the reason it’s a very good car is, I’m afraid, buried under a ton of prejudice and three feet of snow."

How lazy can one get? Smiley

PAG invests time and money developing amazing cars and then reviewers like JC dismiss it through sheer prejudice and laziness. Smiley But we should expect nothing more than this from JC. Smiley

Why does Porsche GB even bother to provide him with a car to review? Smiley I can only assume that they take the view that he will publicise the fact that PCGB refused to provide him with a car - which will only do more harm than good. Smiley

Plus I assume PCGB calculates that people won't be distracted by his blind prejudice - everyone knows that JC simply can't bring himself to praise the 911 because of WW2 and Porsche's past. But has WW2 stopped JC from praising products from other companies from Germany and Italy that had past connections with Hitler and Mussolini? Smiley Smiley

--

RT Moderator - 997.1 Carrera S GT Silver/Cocoa, -20mm/LSD, PSE, short shifter, SportDesign rims, Zuffenhausen collection

Re: Is this the laziest 997.2TT review ever?

easy_rider911:
    everyone knows that JC simply can't bring himself to praise the 911 because of WW2 and Porsche's past. But has WW2 stopped JC from praising products from other companies from Germany and Italy that had past connections with Hitler and Mussolini? Smiley Smiley

JC makes himself look very narrow-minded in this article.

--

Like I said before, Jeremy Clarkson needs a serious kick in his ARSE. 

Top Gear is a very entertaining TV show but when Jeremy makes some of his dumb and sometimes racist jokes, the quality of Top Gear goes down the drain.

I don't have anything against sarcasm or exaggerations but Jeremy Clarkson really isn't my favorite car journalist for many many reasons.

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor 997 Turbo, BMW X5 M (03/2010), BMW M3 Cab DKG, Mini Cooper S JCW

JC's german prejudice routine is really getting stale, it wasn't amusing ten years ago it it sure is not amusing now.

He needs a wake-up call, I wish there was a new program that would challange Top Gear with a charismatic presenter like JC but more knowledgeable and less infantile than JC, that would make them rethink things a bit...

--

This his how JC gains celebrity and distinguishes himself from the pack.  In the age of no bad publicity, his biased and shallow  commentary garners attention because it is biased and shallow. Add a few offensive snippets to the mix and JC is the buzz on the net. We're talking about him aren't we?  Love me,  hate me, just don't ignore me.  That's the modern media mantra.

--

Carpe Diem--life is but a crack of light bounded by eternities of darkness (Nabokov)

RC:

I don't have anything against sarcasm or exaggerations but Jeremy Clarkson really isn't my favorite car journalist for many many reasons.

Clarkson does not qualify for the term "car journaist". He now overdoes his act to the point where he is a parody of his former self .

He is now frequently such a buffoon that he is no longer funny, but he is so far up his own a$$ that he does not realize it. It is past time that it was pointed out to him by his own editors / TV producers and even by the car makers' press departments which lend him press cars.

--

fritz

For all Americans here in the forum who defend Jeremy Clarkson: may I suggest watching his DVD "The Good, The Bad, The Ugly" ?  Very entertaining...especially for non-Americans. 

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor 997 Turbo, BMW X5 M (03/2010), BMW M3 Cab DKG, Mini Cooper S JCW

the novelty of his approach has worn off. you can only tell a joke so many times......

--
    Speed has never killed anyone, suddenly becoming stationary... That's what gets you.

intouch1:

the novelty of his approach has worn off. you can only tell a joke so many times......

Exactly Smiley Not only does he tell variations of the same joke over and over again but he has made a whole career out of it Smiley Smiley

Also, what makes no sense at all to me is that, regarding his views on Germany, he can only find bad things to say about anything made by Porsche but, at the same time, he praises cars like the BMW M3, the BMW M5, the Audi RS6 and various AMG versions of MB cars. He can't have it both ways Smiley Anti-German prejudice cannot be selective Smiley

And if he hates Germany and German people so much, why does he own a MB CLK AMG Black Series? Smiley

And his favourites, the Range Rover and the Rolls Royce Phantom, are owned by BMW Smiley

The reality is that, for some time now, it has no longer been possible to take JC seriously. He has changed from being a motoring journalist to a TV entertainer. Smiley

Although I enjoy watching Top Gear - as entertainment it's very funny - but IMO he, Richard Hammond and James May are now nothing more than comedians who entertain us about car-related stuff.Smiley

-- 

RT Moderator - 997.1 Carrera S GT Silver/Cocoa, -20mm/LSD, PSE, short shifter, SportDesign rims, Zuffenhausen collection

I couldn't agree more Easy.

--

JC is a clown.

--

A. Dias --- 997.2S (ordered). Previous cars: Corvette C6,  996 C4.

DaveC:

This his how JC gains celebrity and distinguishes himself from the pack.  In the age of no bad publicity, his biased and shallow  commentary garners attention because it is biased and shallow. Add a few offensive snippets to the mix and JC is the buzz on the net. We're talking about him aren't we?  Love me,  hate me, just don't ignore me.  That's the modern media mantra.

Hear, hear! Smiley

--

2008 GT3

ADias:

JC is a clown.

But clowns are terrifying.....

Guys, reading/watching JC review a Porsche is like watching a Barack Obama interview on Fox News, you know that it's not going to be objective or unbiased, so just don't read/watch it...

Spend your energy on something useful instead, likeSmiley

--

10 PRINT "997.2 Carrera S rules"

20 GOTO 10

30 RUN

a clown really

but his humor is popular among some groups....

easy_rider911:

Also, what makes no sense at all to me is that, regarding his views on Germany, he can only find bad things to say about anything made by Porsche but, at the same time, he praises cars like the BMW M3, the BMW M5, the Audi RS6 and various AMG versions of MB cars. He can't have it both ways Smiley Anti-German prejudice cannot be selective Smiley

Jeremy Clarkson just doesn't understand what kind of sentiment he creates in Germans when mentioning Nazi Germany all the time in his reviews.

Also his jokes about Americans (they can't drive, they can't build good cars...) are very offensive.

I just remembered his joke about why Porsche named the 911 911. So Americans know what number to dial when they crash the car. It may sound funny but if he repeats it over and over again, it gets boring.

--

RC:

Jeremy Clarkson just doesn't understand what kind of sentiment he creates in Germans when mentioning Nazi Germany all the time in his reviews.

You can see the allusion to the past in this TG parody ad!

--
    It's not where you're going, it's how you get there that counts

reginos:
    RC:

You can see the allusion to the past in this TG parody ad!

Indeed! And he never says Fascist Italy when reviewing his beloved F-cars.  Smiley

--

A. Dias --- 997.2S (ordered). Previous cars: Corvette C6,  996 C4.

temm:

Guys, reading/watching JC review a Porsche is like watching a Barack Obama interview on Fox News, you know that it's not going to be objective or unbiased, so just don't read/watch it...

Spend your energy on something useful instead, likeSmiley

Sir you couldn't be more wrong! If President Obama would appear for an interview on Fox News it would indeed look very different from an interview on the other American networks, but it wouldn't be because Fox news was being biased or unfair, but  it would be because the other American media outlets are so biased in favor of President Obama!

Having lived in the UK and having watched Mr Clarkson and his diatribes against Americans, I still find him entertaining! You don't have to like his humor, but I get concerned when I hear the voices of political correctness emerge. If you don't like it, turn him off and if enough people do, then he will have to find new employment!

He has been afforded the opportunity to  fly in American Air Force jets at great cost to people like me the American taxpayer, and once he is back on the ground he makes many unfavorable comments about America and Americans, so yes he is a bit of a disingenuous lout, but he can be quite entertaining.

Let Clarkson, be Clarkson, enjoy the good, forget the bad and enjoy your life!

I think British humour is sadly lost in translation to many people. Clarkson isn't being serious but playing for laughs predominantly to his UK audience first and foremost. His jibes at the Germans are not meant as racist at all and it's a bit sad that in today's ever increasingly PC world they are taken too literally. He has used a lot of stereotypes for various nations to provide amusement and has poked plenty at the UK as well.... witness his caustic wit on cars produced here in the 1970's under a state owned British Leyland. He makes all sorts of jokes about various regions of the UK including his own native Yorkshire. He's therefore pretty even handed with his jibes IMHO. It's light hearted throw away humour and doesn't have any underlying intent. Life would be very dull if we can't laugh at ourselves sometimes.

What Clarkson usually rails against is what he sees as unrelenting Teutonic efficiency which is coupled to a level of corporate seriousness where even minor criticism isn't taken well. That makes him want to poke the stick in that bit harder to provoke more reaction.

ISUK:

I think British humour is sadly lost in translation to many people. Clarkson isn't being serious but playing for laughs predominantly to his UK audience first and foremost. His jibes at the Germans are not meant as racist at all and it's a bit sad that in today's ever increasingly PC world they are taken too literally. He has used a lot of stereotypes for various nations to provide amusement and has poked plenty at the UK as well.... witness his caustic wit on cars produced here in the 1970's under a state owned British Leyland. He makes all sorts of jokes about various regions of the UK including his own native Yorkshire. He's therefore pretty even handed with his jibes IMHO. It's light hearted throw away humour and doesn't have any underlying intent. Life would be very dull if we can't laugh at ourselves sometimes.

What Clarkson usually rails against is what he sees as unrelenting Teutonic efficiency which is coupled to a level of corporate seriousness where even minor criticism isn't taken well. That makes him want to poke the stick in that bit harder to provoke more reaction.

Very well said.

It's totally understandable to dislike him or his humour. But to be offended by it is utterly ridiculous. If you don't find something funny, just don't laugh. Don't act as if you and your family are deeply and irreversibly offended, ready to take action and sue whoever made one innocent joke that you just didn't get.

Do I get offended when they refer to the French as peasants on TopGear ? No, thank God I'm not that conceited. People really should put things into perspective and maybe not only will we laugh more, but we also won't have to deal with an "increasingly PC world" and terrorist threats because one drawing was over the line.

Rant over.

I think the Brit's take more than their share of shite from comedians around the world. Some of it is funny, some of it is not.

My lifetime experience informs me that people of all nationalities, ethnicities, religions, and races are quite comfortable dishing out the parodies, jokes, and stereotypes of others, but not nearly so fond of being on the receiving end.
    --

Carpe Diem--life is but a crack of light bounded by eternities of darkness (Nabokov)

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/16/24 3:13 PM
    watt
    756919 1797
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    432287 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    259117 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    256289 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    80196 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5285 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

869388 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    803926 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM