Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: Autoweek : New Images

Bill,

Thanks for posting the Autoweek link.

I really like what I'm seeing in the evolution of the design, slightly beefier shoulders and the cleaner front end. I realize these aren't official shots yet, but nice nonetheless.

Dain

Re: Autoweek : New Images

Thanks Bill

Re: 2005 911

Quote:
    zzboba said:
    i tend to believe in the second scenario. a 996 being faster on the straight line than the 997 would be a disaster for porsche's PR.

I think you have hit the nail on the head, with so much worry about straight-line acceleartion figures by the public nowadays and the effect on sales it has, I find it imposible to believe that the 997 won't have a HP increase, and if its heavier, that HP increase will be at least enough to compensate the greater weight in acceleration figures. Especially because it not that big of a problem for Porsche to increase a few ponies on the 997, heck, even the 2002 facelift 996 got 20HP more. Personally I could do with 20HP less but not a bit of weight more over the 996.

Autoweek Images

Re: Autoweek Images

Is it just me, or the back sort of goes back to the 356 shape?

That is one ugly car! Yuck.

It certainly doesn't deserve a "Yuk" .Maybe something like
    the SLR brings that to mind; or most Nissans, Kia's, Hyundai's
    deserve Yuk ! Not a more agressive version and evolution of a 996, and 993. That's not a Yuk. Revvv

Revvv..spend enough time on Porsche boards..and you'll work out from where nberry comes....

....most opinions will differ to his.

we all have our foibles, but i agree -- this thing aint getting out my cheque book. especially since there's no Gt2/3.

Is it just me, or do the turn signal lights on the front look fake in these Autoweek pics...they look like stickers.

The car is still camuflaged, but only very little.

The seem to have silver matching sticker around the edges of all 6 turn signals, but the turn signals are real just covered a bit.

Quote:
    brunner said:
    Is it just me, or the back sort of goes back to the 356 shape?

What you are seeing is the rear 'slats' in the deck lid are open toward the rear. In the current 996, they are open toward the front of the vehicle and upward, so you really do not see them from behind the same way. I think that illusion leads one to 'see' a 356.

If you look closely you will notice that there is silver tape over the front turn signal lights, over the rear tailights. There is also tape that runs from the front fenderwell to the headlight (follows the line between the fenders and "plastic" front end). There is also tape running over the line between the rear fender and plastic back end. I don't know why there would be tape there unless it is holding on thin false skins on the front and rear????

Re: "Boy, you've got to carry that weight..."

I certainly agree with the GT3 with rear seats wish.

My take on this news is that Porsche knows its business and its customers. One of the reasons people are prepared to spend so much on a 911 is their confidence that it will not be trashed by the next model release. They are buying heritage and know that if they still have it in 5, 10, 20 or 30 years they wont be embarrased in taking it along to a club day. Future model releases will have a similar appearance, often recalling details from previous models, and with modest performance enhancements along the way. This strategy ensures the high retained value of the cars, in a $ sense and in an emotional appeal sense.

They know what they're doing. They know why we keep buying these cars.

For example, there is no way Porsche would ever release a 997 S version with almost the same hp as the recently released GT3. To do so would cause all those who bought the GT3 (in fact all Porsche customers) to no longer trust that such an acquisition would stand the test of even a short period of time. They are about building long term repeat customers, who remain loyal as a reflection of the company's loyalty to them.

Just one view...

Re: "Boy, you've got to carry that weight..."

My take on this news is that Porsche knows its business and its customers.

I agree Rick .

This will be interesting for me to see the 997 in the flesh. My first view of the Cayenne in photos left me with the feeling that i could never, ever walk into a Porsche showroom again. I now own a Cayenne TT. Come to think of it , back in 98 when I saw a new 996 I found it borring and uninspired , yet the Gt3 looks everybit as accomplished as the car is mechanically capable . These designs seem to grow on me ... slowly ,but they do grow.

Quote:
    PStotts said:
    If you look closely you will notice that there is silver tape over the front turn signal lights, over the rear tailights. There is also tape that runs from the front fenderwell to the headlight (follows the line between the fenders and "plastic" front end). There is also tape running over the line between the rear fender and plastic back end. I don't know why there would be tape there unless it is holding on thin false skins on the front and rear????

Yes, according to some of my sources, this car is still camo'd.....and will remain so until Porsche is ready to release it officially, or spy photogs get it naked.

I have heard contrasting reports that the 997's wheelbase has been stretched and that it's the same? Anyone know for sure????

Quote:
    Fanch said:
    Remember, the old lady is more than 40 years old now, respect

So true, I love that. "If it ain't broke, dont fix it"!!!

BUT isn't the 998 suppose to be an extreme departure from all other 911's??? I imagine the styling will be extreme, CGT like??? Maybe it's too early to speculate??? (Don't even know when it's suppose to be here??) I hope it re writes the sports car game for all other sports cars!

Looks very neat although I prefer the 996 instruments housing.
    Instead of being part of the whole dashboard like this pic of the 997, it is more like a "galet" on top of the dashboard and it's assymetrical, looks very "design".
    Sorry for the french word, I whink galet in english is like a beach peeble.

although i wouldn't call the 996 interior very pretty or especially elegant, it's special. it's unique. and it feels a lot better than on pictures if you actually sit behind the wheel.

the new 997 cockpit seems to me a lot more ordinary. could be an audi A3, could be the new SLK...

Quote:
    carlos fromspain said:
    Quote:
    zzboba said:
    i tend to believe in the second scenario. a 996 being faster on the straight line than the 997 would be a disaster for porsche's PR.

I think you have hit the nail on the head, with so much worry about straight-line acceleartion figures by the public nowadays and the effect on sales it has, I find it imposible to believe that the 997 won't have a HP increase, and if its heavier, that HP increase will be at least enough to compensate the greater weight in acceleration figures. Especially because it not that big of a problem for Porsche to increase a few ponies on the 997, heck, even the 2002 facelift 996 got 20HP more. Personally I could do with 20HP less but not a bit of weight more over the 996.

Although the engineer says no horsepower increase, the Autoweek article says 345 hp for the C2 and 380 for the S:

Quote:
    Power comes from an updated version of Porsche's water-cooled 3.6-liter flat six-cylinder engine, tuned to produce around 345 hp, up 25 hp from the existing model. An even more powerful version, with up to 380 hp, is rumored to be under development for the new 911 S.

(link to Autoweek web page)

This is in line with RC's earlier prediction and seems more plausible to me. I believe they do want to jumpstart 911 sales and a modest hp increase will be necessary for that. The S version could be far enough into the future to keep from offending current GT3 owners with it's 380 hp.

[quote

This is in line with RC's earlier prediction and seems more plausible to me. I believe they do want to jumpstart 911 sales and a modest hp increase will be necessary for that. The S version could be far enough into the future to keep from offending current GT3 owners with it's 380 hp.

I dont think most GT3 owners but the car just for the extra ummpphh. It is a package, suspension, brakes etc. look at the posted times of GT3 V 996 C2, raw figures are not far apart but in the "real world" GT3 is much much faster point to point.

Second thing. Klaus Borgman, quoted in Autocar this week, makes a point of a manufacturers quest for "Longitudinal Agility". Porsche has always been behind the curve in terms of raw power but overall they have been as quick or quicker as many of the heavy hitters.

Whilst 500HP is a nice thing to have in the "who's is bigger" school of thought, you have to balance that with suspension brakes and WEIGHT.

With the new safety regulations coming along all cars are going to start getting a bit portly. Or are they?

Look at what Jaguar have achieved with the "new" XJ. Bigger, faster, safer, more agile, more fuel efficient all achieved by the use of new materials which reduce weight.

OK, so Porsche "have" to produce a SUV and a 4 door executive express. Good. Let these have the 500HP all the bells and whistles and the weight that goes with it.

This will let Porsche get back to producing cars that the people who read these forums buy (I assume). That would be a light agile fast efficient sports car for those who have nodded off at the back....

I would buy a Cayenne if it had 7 seats.

I may buy a 4 door Porsche dependant on its final specification, (700HP 10 speed sequential, airconditioned ash tray etc)

I will continue to buy Porsche 911's.

So, coming back to the point I was trying to make a couple of thousand words ago. Power to weight ration is where it is all at. Big HP numbers are just to impress your friends and make the muppets buy your product.

Oh, I think it looks OK!

P.

I think that RC and Autoweek are right about HP, just don't believe everything Autoweek puts in the mag because they have been wrong plenty of times. They are the fastest on the rumor reports which means they quote the wrong thing quite a bit. Porsche likes to put out mis-information so we, the speculators, have Porsche on our minds all the time. It works. I like the looks of the 997 and will buy one.

Quote:
    zzboba said:
    although i wouldn't call the 996 interior very pretty or especially elegant, it's special. it's unique. and it feels a lot better than on pictures if you actually sit behind the wheel.

the new 997 cockpit seems to me a lot more ordinary. could be an audi A3, could be the new SLK...

The same may be true of the 997 cockpit --- it may feel a lot better sitting behind the wheel than it looks in pictures.

the rear lights will be certainly like this ones in this already seen pic

Quote:
    Mr.RS said:
    [quote

With the new safety regulations coming along all cars are going to start getting a bit portly. Or are they?

Look at what Jaguar have achieved with the "new" XJ. Bigger, faster, safer, more agile, more fuel efficient all achieved by the use of new materials which reduce weight.

I would buy a Cayenne if it had 7 seats.

I may buy a 4 door Porsche dependant on its final specification, (700HP 10 speed sequential, airconditioned ash tray etc)

I will continue to buy Porsche 911's.

P.

My Dear Co-Author has my agreement entirely. The Cayenne is lovely but too small, we use a Yukon XL for 3 people and 4 Labradors and their gear. My wife would love the 500 HP sedan.

I will buy the next GT2 and 3, since of course the RS will never reach AMerica.

and I test drove the new XJR as an option vs. the Quattroporte while she waits for the Porsche sedan... Much better than her 98 XJR, but no advance, loss actually, in allure and looks....

BTW Paul, our books is selling like hotcakes here in the home of the speed bump. don't forget your signing at McD's in Hyde Park this weekend!!!!

997 carrera s engine whistle

hello i have recently bought a 997 carrera s. the car is awesome. however there is one thing which annoys me alot.let me ask: at high rpms like starting from 5000 till the limit i beginn to hear kind of a whistle.(i definately dont talk about the great power sound coming from the engine after 5500) like turbo turbin sound. which decreases also propotional to the rpm if i take my foot off the throotle. i hear the same whistle at 900 rpm when the engine door is opened. if there is someone who has an idea about this noise or having the same experience please let me know what it is. thanks all....

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 12/8/23 11:25 PM
    GnilM
    301778 1704
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 11/18/23 11:46 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    267600 551
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    194188 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 12/6/23 11:50 AM
    Porker
    118098 256
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 11/29/23 8:30 PM
    Pilot

754057 1361
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM