Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 - Turbo Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Finally,Cargraphic/RS Tuning stage 2!

Hi guys

Two weeks ago i took the decision to upgrade my 997 Turbo with the Ecu tune do by RS Tuning for Cargraphic,544 PS,becouse i whant to wait the 991 Turbo or 991 GT3RS

I had from 3 years the Cargraphic exhaust loud export on my car,and the BMC air filter,so to reach the stage 2 i need only the Ecu tune.

I talk with Michael of Cargraphic,and i send him my Ecu;to take down form the car it took only 10 minutes thanks to a guide find on internet,thanks to who made it(Sharky).

So,monday 26 the Ecu was at Cargraphic,then the 27th they send it to RS Tuning,i talk also with Gerhard of RS Tuning during the week, he was really kindly and explain me that the Ecu tune for the 997 TT MK1 has no problem at all,no fear to let explode the engine etc.SmileySmiley

we made also a good talk about the 997TT  MK2 tune,but less or more the same thing that tell Toby in the other thread..

FInally,yesterday the Ecu come back to me,as soon UPS ring at my office i was just out put the Ecu on the car.

Ten minutes to reassemle itSmiley,and the engine was onSmiley

No check engine on,all fine!great my fear was to have some error instead nothing.Smiley

So i took the car i make some kms to warm up it,and then foot down!!Great!!!Smiley

the exhaust sound much more again,wheels seems to take up the road,the car is really fast!

In first and second gear the push is strong more than before, but from third gear to sixth the difference is really big!the car spool up faster,the Turbo lag is less,it seems more a n/a engine,before you must push more the throttle to accelerate,now you need only to touch it to see the rpm goes up.Seems also to be more linear to takes rpm,and seems to put less under stress the mechanical parts,also if the car goes faster.

Before to upgrade the Ecu i see 0,9/1,0 bar,only sometimes 1,1 in overboost,now is see more 1,0/1,1 and only in overboost 1,2 bar...so not much more pressure,i think is really a good way to let the car be faster.Smiley

For now  i can tell this,i made only 40kms yesterday,and can't wait to take up the car to make some more.I have in mind also to make a video to hear the exhaust from outside,also becouse i'm curious to hear it,when i overtake the other cars,sometimes,the drivers scream bak to me!!Smiley

HAHAHSmiley

--
    997 TT, what a car/che'mmmmmaghena!!!

Re: Finally,Cargraphic/RS Tuning stage 2!

So why isn't Porsche doing these ECU setups are standard?

Many congrats my friend SmileySmileySmiley

Grande Dario!!!

Super Darius:

,wheels seems to take up the road

Traduzione ho tanta potenza che faccio sù la strada!! SmileySmiley

--

Forza rennteam 2.0!

Congratulazioni! So you finally made it...

Thanks friends!Smiley

Next step springs to lower it a few...

SciFrog,good question,but maybe not easy to find a good answer,marketing?don't know..sure now is better than before

Till yesterday i think that the best money spent on the car was for the exhaust,now i'm sure that are the money spent for the exhaust,and also for the Ecu...hahah

Batter to have too much power,that have less power than required

--

Well the problem with ECU is the loss of warranty (4 years in the US).

Yes,sure if the engine explode ok,but if not it depends all from the relationship with your dealer i hope..

My car is 4 years old in september,but after the first two years of warranty that there is in Italy i payd to have the warranty extension year by year,and seems that also this september i can extend it again,also with the Ecu upgrade,upgrade taht is not done from the first tuner out of the door,is from RS Tuning,that is a warranty in the Porsche World,like RUF, etc.

BTW,all can happen,and i know that is at my risk...Smiley

--

Let's put it this way, if you dealer knows you have the ECU or even installed it, fine. Else I seriously doubt they will pay for anything happening to the engine or tranny.

SciFrog:

So why isn't Porsche doing these ECU setups are standard?

Among other things, noise, pollution, fuel economy all go out the windows when you tune the ECU. That's why a car manufacturer can't do this, but tuners can -- they do not have to worry about regulation or numbers.

In return you trade in a fat sleepy cat for a lean and hungry Doberman. This is a trade-off that works for 99% of sports car drivers. Almost no one ever goes *back* once they have a taste of turbo tuning.

Without question, a tuned car is more "sporty" and without question, tuning is most beneficial to a turbo engine (as opposed to a NA engine). The spool up (before 3000 rpm) and the lag are nearly eliminated.

As far as warranty -- good point, but yes and no. Yes they void warranty if damage is ECU related, but...  particularly if you stay with stage 2 (just exhaust and an ECU tune) and don't mess with the hardware, problems are nearly unheard of.

--

Regards,
    Can
    997 Turbo + Bilstein Damptronic "Stage 2" ( Review ) + GIAC ECU Tune ( Fast as a torpedo & reversible to stock - Review ) + Cargraphic Exhaust ( Oh heavenly noise! )

Well come to think of it, the sport button on the Cayenne TTS raises HP and turbo boost. So maybe Prosche is doing tuning after all.

SciFrog:

Well come to think of it, the sport button on the Cayenne TTS raises HP and turbo boost. So maybe Prosche is doing tuning after all.

Sure! The Sport button is but a milder form of tuning.

The Turbo itself has a Sport button that increases boost. In addition, if you listen carefully, you will also note that the exhaust sound changes ever so slightly (more high strung and louder) when you push the Sport button. Not 100% sure, but in my limited experience, this implies that other parameters such as ignition timing and AFR are altered as well.

What an ECU tune does is take this sport button function to a more extreme level. You give up some of the nice comfortable quality of a daily driver, and get back much more of a sport car.

The stock 997.1 Turbo has no chance against a 997.2 PDK Turbo in excitement and acceleration. A tuned 997.1 Turbo, however, narrows the gap considerably. (Not standing start street race, nothing will beat a PDK Turbo at this.)

Darius, congrats. Smiley It's about time!
    Re. the dashboard boost readout: It's artificially limited to 1 in Normal mode and 1.2 in Sport mode. In other words, no matter how high the actual boost is, the dashboard readout will not read above 1.2 in Sport mode.

--

Regards,
    Can
    997 Turbo + Bilstein Damptronic "Stage 2" ( Review ) + GIAC ECU Tune ( Fast as a torpedo & reversible to stock - Review ) + Cargraphic Exhaust ( Oh heavenly noise! )

cannga:

Among other things, noise, pollution, fuel economy all go out the windows when you tune the ECU. That's why a car manufacturer can't do this, but tuners can -- they do not have to worry about regulation or numbers.

Can, actually all the above (with the exception of noise) are actually better than the the factory with an RS Tune, they all pass Euro 4 and 5 and fuel consumption is better..... these tunes are developed over 2 or three full days on the engine dyno with factory ECU expertise.

It is interesting when I read your (well written) reports about the savageness of the power delivery I think of an RS Tune and Darius describes it very well, they are uncannily smooth in the torque delivery, relatively no surging - this is borne out of tuning turbo race engines to have these charactaristics to make them faster because the smoothness allows the torque to be deployed to the track without loss of traction......

As far as comparing to factory tune obviously the life of the engine is going to be lower than a factory tune but fortunately our Mezgers are so over engineered that even with the tunes they will last a long time Smiley

--

2009 997 GT2 659PS/827NM DIN

cannga:

The stock 997.1 Turbo has no chance against a 997.2 PDK Turbo in excitement and acceleration. A tuned 997.1 Turbo, however, narrows the gap considerably. (Not standing start street race, nothing will beat a PDK Turbo at this.)

Cargraphic had their 997tt.2 tested with this tune and from memory it was 0-100kph in 3.3s and 0-200kph in 10.4s manual transmission so not too far off the 997tt.2

Oh and it was 12s faster to 300kph Smiley

--

2009 997 GT2 659PS/827NM DIN

Super Darius:

I have in mind also to make a video to hear the exhaust from outside,also becouse i'm curious to hear it,when i overtake the other cars,sometimes,the drivers scream bak to me!!Smiley

HAHAHSmiley

Smiley I always feel the best way to listen to our Cargraphic is to let someone *else* do a fly-by while you're standing on the sidewalk. Even better in the tunnel. :-) It's deafening and someone told me not unlike the sound of a jet taking off!

With this much more power, you might notice the car now squats, dives, and rolls too much. In fact some tuners (and me :-)) would recommend stiffening the suspension BEFORE tuning the ECU. While lowering springs "work" well (meaning it's functional), the widely accepted bettter choice is changing both spring and shock (i.e. coilover) like Bilstein, KW, etc. Lowering springs eventually might/will cause the shock to fail (piston position, damper, and seal are *ALL* operating out of intended range), and then you face a second bill and second installation.

Among US Turbo enthusiasts, Bilstein is now a near automatic. Do what you feel comfortable with but I would recommend it without hesitation. It will TOTALLY transforms the cars; perfect for those curvy and narrow roads around Italy's northern lake region!
    --

Regards,
    Can

TB993tt:

smooth in the torque delivery, relatively no surging - this is borne out of tuning turbo race engines to have these charactaristics to make them faster because the smoothness allows the torque to be deployed to the track without loss of traction..

Infact for the few kms i make with the car,i find i must anticipate to push the throttle to let the car loose traction to make oversteer out of corners,to let understand,before i let the car loose traction playing with the turbo lag,and when it start to oversteer was more difficult to control,now it seems more easy to control,becouse the oversteer is more progressive...due to the delivery of power that is smooth,considered that are always more than 500 HPSmiley

Can,about the suspension you are absolutely right....but,i don't know how much i will need them,to let understand,here the road are not in well condition,there are also much traffic,if you don't go on a track is really difficult to need a better suspension setup,becouse is difficult to understand you need it..Sure the same thing must be tell about the ecu tune,but is easiest to find a km of free road in front of you to let the horse run...

I will think about a few,sure not before September,when i will have my car at the dealer for the annual service.

Smiley

--

Do not, I repeat Do not change just the springs. It does mot really work. I can give you my techart springs for free if you want.. Go to damptronic, actually ride quality is very similar, better even in some cases. Also car more predictable to drive fast. It will be money well spend.

GT:
    Do not, I repeat Do not change just the springs. It does mot really work. I can give you my techart springs for free if you want..

Thanks for the advice...i will think on it!

I just come back to the fuel station,i think i need new brake pads...i don't know if is the car that goes more,but i think i need more brake powerSmiley

--

Uppps.. ceramics will cure that decisively! I ve seen them going for around 7k usd in certain Porsche forums like RT etc..

997.2 TT PDK with tune will wipe out the floor 997.1 TT TipTronic with tune

GT:
    Uppps.. ceramics will cure that decisively! I ve seen them going for around 7k usd in certain Porsche forums like RT etc..

cheap solution...Smiley

--

Super Darius:
    Can,about the suspension you are absolutely right....but,i don't know how much i will need them,to let understand,here the road are not in well condition,there are also much traffic,if you don't go on a track is really difficult to need a better suspension setup,becouse is difficult to understand you need it..Sure the same thing must be tell about the ecu tune,but is easiest to find a km of free road in front of you to let the horse run...

I will think about a few,sure not before September,when i will have my car at the dealer for the annual service.

Sure Darius, do what you are comfortable with. Normally I wouldn't "push" anyone to do anything twice but in your case I will make an exception since we both have been on this Turbo forum for so long. Smiley

The reason GT and I keep urging you to change is that the car is *still* VERY comfortable and soft with Bilstein. In fact, on a scale of 1 to 10 for stiffness, if stock Turbo is 1, and GT3 is 10, then a Bilstein Turbo would only be about 5. I've driven all over Italy (my most favorite country to travel to Smiley), including the area around Bellagio/Como so I have some idea of the quality of the roads there: no worse than US; and no one in US has complained of Bilstein being too stiff. (If he has, he shouldn't be driving a sport car :-).)

Porsche made a mistake with the 997.1 Turbo suspension (springs way too soft and faulty PASM) and acknowledged it with the change to 997.2. Bilstein is OEM shock manufacturer (uses Walter what's-his-name as consultant, and obviously works very closely w/ Porsche) so we are not advising you to do anything outrageous here; it's practically a Porsche offered option. It's a de facto change now for US enthusiasts and please trust us on this one: It *will* transform the car, even more so than the ECU tune, and allow you to wait for 991 in peace. :-) I actually prefer Bilstein 997.1 to stock 997.2 Turbo, which on above stiffness scale would be about 3 to 4 or so.

So this will be the last time I will "bug" you about this. Enjoy your tremendously faster "new" car! Smiley Oh, and *NO* lowering spring please. Smiley

--

Regards,
    Can

Thanks Can,you are ever really kindly,and you explain your point of view in clear way!

Coming back to suspension,i whant to tell i have not "fear" that the car will come too much stiff,is not a problem this,i love sports car...i'm not sure if i must spend again money on THIS car,maye be start to save for the next one?!

From when my kid born,6 months ago,i make on the Turbo 1000kms till now...so i think in the next two years to put not more than 5/10.000kms on it,if all goes well...

this is the thing that brake me in make other mods..

Ok,sure i will make no only the springs,and i will think about if to stay stock or change the suspensions..

--

I now understand your reasons; they make perfect sense to me. Boy that car of yours doesn't get driven very often!

If you drive so little and are not going to keep the car long term and therefore don't want to spend $, then yes, lowering spring is a good idea and yes it is better than stock. If you want to try a US spring, then I would recommend GMG GMG Porsche Turbo Lowering Springs, which I think is the "best" and stiffest of all lowering springs. Of the 2 European ones, I would pick Techart over H&R, based on unconfirmed *rumor* that Techart is the stiffer of the 2.

As far as cost, something to keep in mind: While the cost of lowering spring is admittedly much lower (in the US, springs are around US $400, Bilstein 2400), the installation charge (around 1000) is about equal between spring and coilover, so the gap narrows percentage wise, 3400 (coilover) versus 1400 (spring).

Also keep in mind you might keep the current Turbo longer than expected: Turbo won't be available until some time in 2013, and if you want to buy second year model so that all the bugs will be worked out, you are now talking 2014. And if you drive so little, why trade the current one in even then? It might a classic one of these days, what with the last of the Mezger Turbo engine! :-)

Hope all is well w/ your baby. No, not the Turbo baby, the baby baby! Smiley

--

Regards,
    Can

HAHAHHASmiley

the real Baby,goes really well,is big,6 months near 9 kgs..hahahSmiley he eats more than meSmiley

About the 991 Turbo,2013 can work for me(if is out before as it seems from the rumors,better again),this one i have now was delivered the second month from when they start to sell it,and till now i had no problems at all,instead with my former 996TT,that was delivered me after 3 years form the introduction i had 3 issue in half an year with car back to the dealer on the truck...so...bugs sometimes are not related with all new cars..Smiley

About take mine to let become a classic,would be a good idea...but i don't know if i can resist to the new one.Time will tell...

Smiley

--

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/3/24 7:04 PM
    watt
    603083 1768
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    383956 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    252588 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 2/22/24 5:12 PM
    GT-Boy
    214900 291
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    46315 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 2/19/24 9:07 AM
    RCA
    2351 25
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

844265 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    734701 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM