Crown

Board: Porsche - Cayenne Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

OFFICIAL: Cayenne S Diesel with powerful V8 Diesel

Sorry for the late information release but I have been really busy lately, incl. a short family vacation.

Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG of Stuttgart is launching its most powerful diesel model on the market as the Cayenne S Diesel. The 4.2-litre eight-cylinder engine with biturbo charging produces 382 hp (281 kW) and offers a maximum torque of 850 Newton metres. This drives the new Cayenne S Diesel to top values in both dynamic performance and efficiency: The new top diesel completes the sprint from zero to 100 km in 5.7 seconds, and its top speed is 252 km/h. In the process, it utilises energy in an exemplary way: Its NEDC fuel consumption is just 8.3 litres per 100 km (CO2: 218 g/km). One factor contributing to this excellent value is the auto start/stop function; the new model is the world’s only SUV with a diesel V8 to offer this functionality.

The Cayenne S Diesel offers a driving experience that is typical of a Porsche and yet is altogether new. It is emotional like a sports car in its dynamic performance and sound. The smooth running properties and resonant sound of the eight-cylinder engine attain a level comparable to that of previous Porsche V8 engines. The Cayenne S Diesel gets its very special character from PTM active all-wheel drive. This system produces the driving qualities of a rear-wheel drive vehicle – together with all of its benefits in handling and precision. In a sporty, dynamic style of driving, front-wheel drive actions precisely adapted to the driving situation intervene to improve stability and traction. The optional Porsche Torque Vectoring Plus (PTV Plus) makes this excellent dynamic performance even sportier.

The Cayenne S Diesel with its superior engine power is also the ideal vehicle when towing and manoeuvring boat or horse trailers. The Cayenne S Diesel still has sufficient power reserves even when working at its maximum towing capacity of 3.5 metric tonnes. The new vehicle also takes on the role of a long-distance champion: based on its NEDC fuel consumption the Cayenne S Diesel – equipped with an optional 100-litre fuel tank – can be driven a distance of about 1,200 km without having to stop to refuel.

On its exterior, the new top diesel model is an uncompromising Cayenne S as well, and it displays the typical visual features of the eight-cylinder versions. The brake system, for example, has been sized to handle the car’s power output, and it is identified by its silver brake callipers. The black fins at the front end emphasise the open air inlets. As on the Cayenne Diesel, the “diesel” badges at the front ends of the wings call attention to the operating mode of the V8 engine. The model badge at the rear identifies it as a Cayenne S.

The Cayenne S Diesel will launch on the market in January 2013 and will cost 77,684 euros in Germany – including 19 per cent VAT and country-specific features. 

P12_0399.jpg

P12_0400.jpg

P12_0394.jpg

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche Panamera Turbo S, BMW X5M, Mercedes C63 AMG Coupe PP/DP, Mini Cooper S Countryman All4

Re: OFFICIAL: Cayenne S Diesel with powerful V8 Diesel

Best cayenne yet. Tons of low end torque is what fat SUVs need, finally the diesel engine it deserves. 

I Like it. 

Futch:

Best cayenne yet. Tons of low end torque is what fat SUVs need, finally the diesel engine it deserves. 

I Like it. 

I like it too, my wife loves it but at 100k EUR with some options, this is quite an expensive Diesel. Smiley

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche Panamera Turbo S, BMW X5M, Mercedes C63 AMG Coupe PP/DP, Mini Cooper S Countryman All4

RC:
    Futch:

I Like it. 

I like it too, my wife loves it but at 100k EUR with some options, this is quite an expensive Diesel. Smiley

Indeed. Maybe second hand in a few months?

Futch:

Well...my wife needs a Diesel by March 2013, latest. There won't be many used cars around by then.

Maybe we will get the Cayenne Diesel, if Porsche Financial decides to offer a special deal, which should happen any time around the end of the year or so, maybe earlier. Porsche has record high sales worldwide but the market in Germany isn't the greatest right now.

Right now however, it looks more like a X3 35d...same performance (or better) for much less money. Unfortunately this car is a little bit too small for us and my wife doesn't want another X5. Mercedes would be an option too, very good deals for all Diesel models, M and G class or the new Audi SQ5, which is also a bit small.

Difficult decision but my wife wants a Diesel because she drives a lot in the city and the fuel cost kills her (600 EUR this month).

--

Fair enough. If it wasn't for the fuel economy, I would have suggested an Audi RS6!Smiley

They are really good value now, fast as hell, same if not bigger inside and handle much better than tall SUVs. 

The Cayenne Diesel is a fantastic car, quick enough (at least for Spain) and incredibly efficient. I usually manage a 8 l/100 consumption with my family @ 140 kmh cruise. I wish we could push the pedal like is Germany!

--

1987 911 Carrera 3.2 - 2012 Cayenne Diesel - 2010 Abarth 500 - 1995 BMW318ti

Christian,

you need Macan Diesel ))))))))

artur777:

Christian,

you need Macan Diesel ))))))))

I can't wait until the Macan comes...my wife needs a Diesel when the X5M goes away...in March 2013 or maybe earlier.

Right now, the X3 35d is our favorite but my wife wants to testdrive the Cayenne Diesel (not the S Smiley) again, to see if she likes it but compared to the X3 35d, the Cayenne is overpriced and much slower.

The Audi SQ5 was also on our mind but a testdrive isn't possible yet and Audi doesn't offer the same good lease deals BMW does over here.

--

i think the cayenne diesel might be your best option as i believe resale on these models will be very good in the german market....

--
    Speed has never killed anyone, suddenly becoming stationary... That's what gets you.

RC:
    Futch:

Well...my wife needs a Diesel by March 2013, latest. There won't be many used cars around by then.

Maybe we will get the Cayenne Diesel, if Porsche Financial decides to offer a special deal, which should happen any time around the end of the year or so, maybe earlier. Porsche has record high sales worldwide but the market in Germany isn't the greatest right now.

Right now however, it looks more like a X3 35d...same performance (or better) for much less money. Unfortunately this car is a little bit too small for us and my wife doesn't want another X5

--

The new X3 diesel is an amazing car. Quick, comfortable, and great to drive. If there were any more than just the two of us that's the car I'd definitely have this side of a Cayenne. SWMBO loves the great visibility of the high driving position, and I can see her point. We've never liked the Cayenne - until we drove one a few weeks back, what an amazing vehicle! But not cheap of course. We drove the base diesel which was magnificent but not particularly quick and the Hybrid which seemed utterly pointless. The BMW has a lower profile / image than the Porsche which may also be a consideration.

--

Accountants are like fire and water, good servants but bad masters.

Porsche 997 Carrera S PDK Aqua Blue / Black - Toyota Yaris D4D  "Clockwork Rat"

I am very happy with our 2.0 TDI Audi and I think it would be very OK in most countries where you cannot drive steadily at more than 150-160 km/h most of the time. It gets very easily to those speeds and could travel all day with low consumption. If someone wanted more speed the 3.0 TDI would be even better. 

I tried the X3 diesel too but didn't like steering as much as on the Audi although it is a little more powerful and allegedly little more economic on fuel.

The Cayenne 3.0 diesel is overpriced IMO as most status products are. It doesn't add anything more, besides higher fuel and maintenance costs. 

--

"Form follows function"

reginos:

The Cayenne 3.0 diesel is overpriced IMO as most status products are. It doesn't add anything more, besides higher fuel and maintenance costs. 

I agree. If however we could get a Cayenne Diesel (not S) for the same lease rate as the X3 35d, my wife would probably choose the Cayenne. The Cayenne is bigger, the kids love the Cayenne and well...it is a Porsche (wife). Smiley There is also more benefit of having two Porsche cars from the same dealer (I once had three Porsche at a time and my former dealer treated me like a king, it was a wonderful feeling).

Maybe Porsche reads this and offers me a special lease deal on the Cayenne S Diesel. Smiley Smiley

I really want a Porsche but the Macan is too far away (and probably too small for our purposes).

--

RC:
    Futch:

Well...

Right now however, it looks more like a X3 35d...same performance (or better) for much less money. Unfortunately this car is a little bit too small for us and my wife doesn't want another X5. Mercedes would be an option too, very good deals for all Diesel models, M and G class or the new Audi SQ5, which is also a bit small.

Difficult decision but my wife wants a Diesel because she drives a lot in the city and the fuel cost kills her (600 EUR this month).

--

RC x3d will do 0-60 in 5.7 sec? My x5d certainly did not!

The cayenne diesel sounds almost sporty enough to support the logical decision to stay diesel in my truck, rather than flagrant with the turbo:)

Nope, the X3 35d does 0-62 mph in 5.7 seconds (officially, some reviews indicated 5.3  and 5.5 seconds).

Your X5 Diesel certainly didn't have 313 hp and over 200 kg less weight. 

--

RC:

Nope, the X3 35d does 0-62 mph in 5.7 seconds (officially, some reviews indicated 5.3  and 5.5 seconds).

Your X5 Diesel certainly didn't have 313 hp and over 200 kg less weight. 

mere details:)Smiley

at least the cay diesel would be more fun than the x5d then  BUT

i just dont have the energy for being logical when i know how fast the turbo is

BMW dealer offer just came in...amazing, like always. surprise Unfortunately I don't think that Porsche Financial can even come close to this offer but I haven't received it yet.

--

Still, I guess it is fair to say that Porsche will have an attractive range of high performance diesel powered SUVs, with the Macan using an upgraded version of the 3.0l V6 diesel of the Audi SQ5 and Cayenne coming out with the souped up 4.2l V8 engine.

olli:

Still, I guess it is fair to say that Porsche will have an attractive range of high performance diesel powered SUVs, with the Macan using an upgraded version of the 3.0l V6 diesel of the Audi SQ5 and Cayenne coming out with the souped up 4.2l V8 engine.

I'm actually curious if the V8 Diesel will make it into the Panamera Diesel (not sure it fits). Performance would be definitely amazing.

--

RC:
    olli:

I'm actually curious if the V8 Diesel will make it into the Panamera Diesel (not sure it fits). Performance would be definitely amazing.

DIdn't Porsche say somewhere that the V8 in the Cayenne S Diesel will make it to the facelifted Panamera? I remember reading plans that the facelift will feature both V6 and V8 diesels.

Here's an excerpt from one article: "Porsche will also reportedly add this diesel to the Panamera range when the model undergoes a facelift in 2013." [Source:  http://www.carmag.co.za/article/more-powerful-porsche-diesel-on-the-way-2012-09-12]

rulesdontapply

The problem seems to be if the engine fits in the Panamera engine bay (height). Not sure how "flat" the V8 Diesel engine is but I cannot imagine that Porsche won't put a more powerful Diesel into the Panamera.

Yesterday, I did some checking on the new Audi SQ5 and I was very surprised to discover, that with all the necessary options (almost all available ones), the SQ5 is around 65k EUR (incl. 19% german VAT). This is actually only 4k more than the standard Cayenne Diesel. Of course the Q5 is smaller than the Cayenne but 65k for a well equipped SQ5 is quite an argument here, especially since the SQ5 should actually be faster than the Cayenne S Diesel.

So yes, we will look into the SQ5 as well and if Audi has some good lease offers (which apparently they don't have at this moment), we may go for the SQ5.

I still hope that Porsche Financial comes up with some interesting offers by the end of the year but so far, there is nothing available. I would, of course, prefer the Cayenne S Diesel over any other Diesel model but with some options, this car is around 95k EUR and with no special deal available from Porsche Financial, this car is a no-go for us.

--

RC:

BMW dealer offer just came in...amazing, like always. surprise Unfortunately I don't think that Porsche Financial can even come close to this offer but I haven't received it yet.

I can only dream that my local BMW dealer would offer good deals. I'm completely in love with the X3. This would be a perfect car for me right now, cover all my bases and make me a very happy driver. 

Screen Shot 2012-10-03 at 1.13.45 AM.png

Screen Shot 2012-10-03 at 1.14.10 AM.png

Screen Shot 2012-10-03 at 1.14.31 AM.png

Screen Shot 2012-10-03 at 2.16.51 AM.png

My mother took delivery of a red-on-beige X3 xDrive28i a few months ago. For someone more accustomed to instant power and direct road feedback, I found the turbo-four to be wonderfully eager, power delivery very smooth and the steering to be pleasantly weighted rather than light and artificial. Yes, there are a few cabin trimmings that I'm not especially fond of and several exterior details I'd change, but it's a very well-rounded, extremely practical and well-sized car. BMW did well to up the X3's game, especially from the somewhat ratty previous generation.

Hey, my mom loves it and she's the owner. I'm guessing something's going well here.

rulesdontapply

I'm afraid my wife chose the X3 35d. Superb deal, fully optioned car (I mean everything!), actually a dealer demo car but only officially . Savings? Well...over 400 EUR...per month, compared to a slightly optioned (same value) Cayenne Diesel...without the S. Absolutely incredible difference. yes

Winter wheels, painted in matte black with latest Dunlop generation for 2k EUR flat. I just paid 7k EUR for my PTS winter wheels (also painted in matte black).

The X3 35d does 0-100 kph in 5.5 sec, 0-200 kph in 26.4 sec according to the latest AMS review. This isn't a sportscar by a longshot but performance is similar to the Cayenne S Diesel, for much less money. 

I would have loved to get a Cayenne Diesel (even without S) and especially the S Diesel but the price difference is huge, I really understand why my wife chose the X3 instead. 

Maybe in three years, it is going to be the Macan... 

Btw: Many german dealers have sold out their Cayenne S Diesel quota for this year, earliest delivery starts April/May next year again. Amazing. 

The difference between a Cayenne Diesel and S Diesel, same options, is only aprox. 15k EUR. So I would always choose the S Diesel if I would buy it.

--

Wonder if BMW will start to incentivise UK buyers any time soon....

--

C2S - Basalt/Black XC90 - Black/Black 2 kids, 1 dog

bridggar:

Wonder if BMW will start to incentivise UK buyers any time soon....

Smiley Over here in Germany, BMW and Mercedes always have the best deals, especially lease deals but others too. I don't know why but when I am looking at a car which is fun and somehow affordable, I never look at a Porsche. Their prices (and lease offers) are pretty high/bad and sometimes I just can't justify to pay that much money for a product which I would love to drive but don't really have my heart attached to it, like a family car for example. 

Yes, I would have preferred to get the Cayenne S Diesel but currently, the lease offers are ridiculous (way too expensive).

--

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/16/24 3:13 PM
    watt
    756720 1797
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    432218 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    259099 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    256242 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    80154 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5285 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

869335 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    803816 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM