Forum - Thread

GT2 crash at the ring

--

Re: GT2 crash at the ring

--

--

That idiot in the old Porsche (he passed the turned car at a very fast speed) should be beaten with his own stupidity...
    Also, why the heck did nobody else stop, it was clearly visible that the guy was still in the car?

I

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche Panamera Turbo S, Cayenne GTS (958), 991 Turbo S (Oct. 5th), BMW X3 35d (2013)

RC:

That idiot in the old Porsche (he passed the turned car at a very fast speed) should be beaten with his own stupidity...
    Also, why the heck did nobody else stop, it was clearly visible that the guy was still in the car?

Exactly. I don't get it. You can even see the guy struggling to get out of his car.  Smiley

No one is even getting behind the barrier (including the driver)... Smiley

By the way I think this happened Monday before last. The day before a biker lost his life in the section "Fuchsröhre". Smiley

--

997 GT3 3.8

My first thought is the same as RC, why did no one else stopped.

My second thought is, boy isn't the GT2 strongly built, that guy pretty much walked away from such a big crash, maybe a little shaken up destroyed the car, but he seems to have no broken bones or anything serious injuries.

Gauss:
    RC:

Exactly. I don't get it. You can even see the guy struggling to get out of his car.  Smiley

By the way I think this happened Monday before last. The day before a biker lost his life in the section "Fuchsröhre". Smiley

--

997 GT3 3.8

This happens when people drive with a knife between the teeth, as if they were racing for money, honor or whatever.

Driving on the Nordschleife is supposed to be fun, not supposed to kill you. Smiley

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche Panamera Turbo S, Cayenne GTS (958), 991 Turbo S (Oct. 5th), BMW X3 35d (2013)

RC:
    Gauss:
    RC:

--

997 GT3 3.8

This happens when people drive with a knife between the teeth, as if they were racing for money, honor or whatever.

Driving on the Nordschleife is supposed to be fun, not supposed to kill you. Smiley

I've read elsewhere that the driver concerned has previous history of crashing at the Ring due to driving at inappropriate speed for the conditions, and the circuit operators are allegedly talking of banning him from driving there. 

--

fritz

fritz:

I've read elsewhere that the driver concerned has previous history of crashing at the Ring due to driving at inappropriate speed for the conditions, and the circuit operators are allegedly talking of banning him from driving there. 

what happen to this guy can happen to anyone. even a pro driver. And i know what i'm talking about. Here a little storie i leaved some days ago. A friend of my team doing the porsche Cup Swiss, driver and Racing Pilot since 25 years, took his GT3 RS, went on a track for practice. didn't putt the racing seatbelt, the one that comes over the sholder. due to a change of track, the car went in the air, made 4 side oups, the friend went to hospital with helikopter. conclusion of the incident. Quadriplegic.

--

997 GT3, 997 GT3 Cup; Cayenne S; Audi TT; Birel Kart; John Deer.

Sorry to hear this sad story about your friend, Cram. It puzzles me why an experienced racing driver like him would deliberately forget to put on his shoulder harnesses and drive fast. I still feel sorry for his tragedy.

Regarding the GT2 driver. I would never risk going airborne at Flugplatz (not that I had the talent or experience for it in the first place) because of the very risky landing before the fast double right hander, there is no margin for error. There is also the danger that a slower car (which can't be seen when driving uphill) may currently be occupying the line and you can't go anywhere else.

--

997 GT3 3.8

Gauss:

Regarding the GT2 driver. I would never risk going airborne at Flugplatz (not that I had the talent or experience for it in the first place) because of the very risky landing before the fast double right hander, there is no margin for error. There is also the danger that a slower car (which can't be seen when driving uphill) may currently be occupying the line and you can't go anywhere else.

Smiley Also: What do you get if you destroy your car, even if nothing happens to you? A lot of headache, a nice car turned to rubbish (insurance may not even pay), a lot of stress around the accident, a lot of money thrown out, etc. etc. etc.. Is it worth it? Yes, accidents can happen but the moment I stopped making money with racing, I stopped driving like a nutjob. What for?! Smiley

--

Gauss:

--

997 GT3 3.8

Fully agree, Gauss.  For once I tried the jump myself (of course not during TF, but at a trackday) and I needed fresh underwear afterwards SmileySmiley Maybe some drivers are misled by the name of the corner (Flugplatz = airfield) Smiley

These wannabe racers who have no clue what to do in case they arrive at an accident scene should be banned from the 'Ring Smiley

@ Cram: I am very sorry to hear of the terrible fate of your race buddy  Smiley

--

public roads: Porsche 981S white/black/red, toll road Smiley : Porsche 997 GT3 Arctic/Black

Whoopsy:

My second thought is, boy isn't the GT2 strongly built, that guy pretty much walked away from such a big crash,

Last year a buddy of mine suffered exactly the same accident at the same corner with his 996 GT3 RS ("old"car but nonetheless super solid). He also walked away without a scratch - car was equipped with a full rollcage though. he had no chance to avoid the crash as there was an oil patch right behind the bump...

--

public roads: Porsche 981S white/black/red, toll road Smiley : Porsche 997 GT3 Arctic/Black

Porsche-Jeck:

These wannabe racers who have no clue what to do in case they arrive at an accident scene should be banned from the 'Ring Smiley

@ Cram: I am very sorry to hear of the terrible fate of your race buddy  Smiley

Thanks PJ. Not much that i can do now for him. i can give him my support.  it's a buddy that i'll miss for training at the fitness center.

for those that didn't stop as the crash just happen. What do you want to say?  i would tell them that maybe if the same would have happen to them, they would have hope that some guys are stopping to just ask "do you need help" or are you OK"   and if they could'nt answer hopping that you would give them some help. Some did stop but long time after it happen. A second can be long if you are in a bad position.

Anyway, the guy is fine and i hope that this time, he'll learn from it. but it's true, there i would'nt try to jump even if i can hold a steering weehl.

--

Cram:
    what happen to this guy can happen to anyone. even a pro driver. And i know what i'm talking about. Here a little storie i leaved some days ago. A friend of my team doing the porsche Cup Swiss, driver and Racing Pilot since 25 years, took his GT3 RS, went on a track for practice. didn't putt the racing seatbelt, the one that comes over the sholder. due to a change of track, the car went in the air, made 4 side oups, the friend went to hospital with helikopter. conclusion of the incident. Quadriplegic.

--

Marc,
    I am so sorry to hear that! As you may know, I know from first hand how it feels to experience such a terrible accident when doing something you love. Luckily for me, I did dodge the bullet and am able to function almost normal again. My thoughts go out to your buddy, and I wish him all the strength to deal with this great shock. Please never forget how important good friends are in such a situation. Not only towards him, but also towards his close relatives.
    All the best mate!
    -Joost-

--

Porsche, seperates LeMans from LeBoys

FWIW, sometime stopping is more dangerous than moving on. I believe to stop after one car had stopped is stupid and only exposes the driver to being hit and causing another collision including the car already involved in the crash.enlightened

914 crash....

--

Why does he hit the car? yes It was his (driver) fault? Smiley

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Turbo S (Sept. 2013), Cayenne GTS (958), BMW X3 35d (2013)

RC:

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Turbo S (Sept. 2013), Cayenne GTS (958), BMW X3 35d (2013)

Same detail got me mad! Dumb pr$ck! Smiley

--

nberry:

FWIW, sometime stopping is more dangerous than moving on. I believe to stop after one car had stopped is stupid and only exposes the driver to being hit and causing another collision including the car already involved in the crash.enlightened

Depends... 

Actually there are a couple of rules on the Nordschleife:

1. If you have an accident, even a little one, you are not permitted to continue (you could loose coolant, oil, etc. for example and cause a lot of dangerous situations for other drivers). Exception: If the car came to a stop in a very dangerous location (like after a curve in a spot where other cars are likely to hit you or if you are somehow "in the way" if someone else looses control, etc.), you need to remove the car from there if possible without any immediate danger to you or others.

2. You are not permitted to pass other cars on the right (many don't seem to know this rule)

3. Photo-/Video Recording of the driving are prohibited (another rule many don't see to know). Exceptions are only allowed for certain events and/or with permission.

4. If there is a yellow flashing light or flag visible, you need to reduce the speed in a way that you can always stop within viewing distance.

5. If you see an accident, you have to stop as soon as possible and help the victim(s) and/or secure the accident location if nobody is there yet or if help is needed.

6. You need to go behind the guarding rail and run at least 100 m in the opposite direction to warn other drivers (you would be surprised how many drivers actually run on the circuit to warn others...).

7. You need to call the Nuerburgring emergency number as soon as possible.

8. Even if there was no accident but you threw dirt on the track and/or you spilled liquids, you need to call the emergency number. It is not permitted to finish the run and THEN call the number.

9. You are not supposed to put yourself in immediate danger if you want to help (which is interesting because it is wide open for interpretation)

10. Now the most important thing: At the accident location, a maximum speed of 60 kph is permitted only. 60 kph when you pass the crashed car. 60 kph. Not more. Many drive with 100 kph or more next to the the accident location and if oil or coolant has been spilled...well... SmileySmiley

11. If you are coming to an accident location and nobody has stopped yet, you have to stop in a safe location and try to help

These rules may sound pretty generic but you would be surprised how many drivers actually ignore them. 

--

SportCarGroup:
    RC:

Same detail got me mad! Dumb pr$ck! Smiley

How do you know? The left rear tire seems to be deflated, so that might be one reason for the accident. Climbing out of such a wreck, I would certainly forgive the driver that behaviour.

He was too fast, nothing fancy here... broken heart

I rather think he kicked the car to "blame" it because of the many bystanders. Smiley Yes, forgivable but not very professional.

--

RC:

5. If you see an accident, you have to stop as soon as possible and help the victim(s) and/or secure the accident location if nobody is there yet or if help is needed.

Thanks for posting the rules, RC Smiley I'd say most of them are common sense anyway but these days common sense seems to be not that "common" anymore..

And regardless of Nordschleife or country road everyone is obliged by law to help when arriving at an accident scene in Germany.

BTW video recording is not prohibited anymore Smiley

--

video.jpg

Are you sure about it? Has something changed? (the above is directly from the Nordschleife Team who is responsible ) As far as I know, their "own" onboard camera system is mandatory if you want to take videos on the Nordschleife.

--

the GT2's roof was basically flattened .. amazing the guy walked away OK.

car had no cage? Couldn't see.

RC:

video.jpg

Are you sure about it? Has something changed? (the above is directly from the Nordschleife Team who is responsible )

Yes I'm sure RC. Smiley  The 'Ring management didn't bother with changing the written rules yet though, but since the beginning of this season you can enter the track with a videocam mounted without risking a ban Smiley The only thing the marshals observe is whether the cam is safely mounted. I'm still experimenting with the best cam perspective (Gauss is much better at that than me Smiley)

--

Ahh...good to know for future trips. Thanks. kiss

I would be very interested in the "best cam setup", so if you guys could share your experience, it would be very helpful (for others here too I guess). Smiley

--

I think GoPro Hero III is the best solution for this target blush

--

SportCarGroup:

I think GoPro Hero III is the best solution for this target blush

To be frank, I think there are much more professional solutions out there, incl. telematics and other interesting stuff.

I use the GoPro Hero just for fun stuff when I record a 0-100 kph run or similar things...

--

RC:

Ahh...good to know for future trips. Thanks. kiss

I would be very interested in the "best cam setup", so if you guys could share your experience, it would be very helpful (for others here too I guess). Smiley

--

Sure, you're welcome Smiley I still have to find out myself as I am still a bloody amateur in this regard. So far I just played around with old crappy equipment which has to be replaced by something decent. Still loved the first vid taken with it some weeks ago - not due to quality but due to the content with the F458 driver giving up the battle after Hatzenbach Smiley

--

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    764085 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    436355 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    260974 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    257908 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    82608 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5325 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

876724 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    808745 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM